• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. H

Osborne Adelaide Veronica Mary resting place?

Lovely to get a reply - I've exhausted marriage witnesses, not related and they moved to Wales not long after Adelaide's marriage and did not have any children for quite a few years........so felt that was a dead end. Yes could possibly be illegitimate, but why so many names. on death...
  2. H

UPDATE - ADELAIDE All this time gone by and still no Birth for Adelaide but after 11 months research have found her Resting Place - St.Josephs R.C. Church, unfortunately since her death many alterations have taken place there and not sure her Stone still there, BUT have been given a name that...
  3. H

Suicide in Prison

SUICIDE IN PRISON - I am at a loss for words, many thanks to you all. Obviously suicide was looked on as a 'criminal offence' in those times. But having looked at the Prison Records for Charles Hemming - and I now think there were two! perhaps that's why the alias William was added, they...
  4. H

Suicide in Prison

Wow - Lyn how did you do that with such speed! Its fine to send information on this thread, the Cornwall Gazette throws me....Many thanks for your help. Val
  5. H

Suicide in Prison

Hi Astonian - thanks for the info. Val
  6. H

Suicide in Prison

Hi Janice - name Charles Hemmings (alias) Charles William Hemmings (whilst in prison) death 1880, thanks for that - Val
  7. H

Suicide in Prison

That's what I thought, from the prison records it appears that relative committed suicide 1880 but no death registered til 1889, perhaps two people in prison at same time with same name - would there be anyway of finding out who is mine! Many thanks Val
  8. H

Suicide in Prison

If a relative committed suicide in Prison (possibly Winson Green) would there be a death certificate issued? Val (former Heath Street resident)
  9. H

Roast chestnut vendor !!

Yes Anne - what would we do without a Baked Pot. Fill it with beans and coleslaw - bacon - Proper Butter? the list is endless and with the invention of the Microwave - 8 - 10 mins DONE - but they dont taste anything like those cooked in oven for couple of hours, burnt and crispy skins - Its...
  10. H

Roast chestnut vendor !!

I am now confused - did I have Potatoes with little bag of salt or Chestnuts - although I dont really recall ever liking chestnuts!! I've now come-up with another image - its doing the Family Tree thats caused all these little memories - A Horse pulling a waggon down Heath Street with bleeding...
  11. H

Roast chestnut vendor !!

To everyone that replied - It brought back the smell, atmosphere, dark nights, chilly weather and feeling of comfort! Strange, the picture of Potato Man didn't seem to ring a bell - I could see a Brazier - would that mean Chestnuts! Sure Health & Safety would have something to say now... Val
  12. H

Roast chestnut vendor !!

Is this my imagination! I am sitting at my computer attacking the family tree once more when I had this vision of a Roast Chestnut Vendor somewhere in the centre of Birmingham in about 1950's - A bridge comes to mind, an uphill walk, long road - my dad, my mum and brother walking from goodness...
  13. H

bewdley - OH DEAR - that makes her sound (from money) I'm sure my grandfather would not have been able to keep her in the manner she was accustomed......cant imagine such a lady taking a job in Munitions.... but will look into this record...you never know, but a d.o.b would help a little - many...
  14. H

Clarkie - You are correct - just spent last 3 hours researching Mabel/William on census and also looking at the Ancestry family tree of the person I have been in contact with (back in 2010) and note that they have births, marriages and deaths info. that are not the correct ones for the said...
  15. H

Clarkie - I also thought that there was so much that tied up. Have just looked at my notes from Mabel's relative, I notice she comments that perhaps she had changed her name as well! but goes on to say that Mabel married in 1914 in Somerset to either a Harold G Brock or Rowland G Osborne...
  16. H

Clarkie - strange that keeps going through my mind - it was mentioned many many years ago by a member of family that there could have been some Spanish in family!!! but I feel with so little information to go on wouldn't know where to start. Thats where I was thinking perhaps church records...
  17. H

Clarkie - Thats some research - I have been in contact with a member of the family you mention above and after much discussion we find we are not RELATED.....such a pity, Mabel not Adelaide. In my early days of research I latched onto this family, it seemed the answer...but I appreciate your...
  18. H

Macca - will give that a try - thanks - Vall
  19. H

Think I might have to come and spend a week in Birmingham and do some trailing around! Strange you mention Heath Street as my Gt Grandmother lived there (Osborne) and one of her daughters (Matilda) married a Charles Hemmings but I have researched this connection EXTENSIVELY and a William...
  20. H

On marriage it gives her age as 20 in 1917 and on death 25 in 1922 so I arrive at her birth as about 1897. 4 years on wish I could just erase her from my mind, that would make it easier to finish my TREE, she's my grandmother I never met so finding that difficult, thanks for your information...
Back