• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. J

Palmer family 9/50 Benacre Street

Are any of the above related to a THOMAS WILSON PALMER who lived in Soho Hill and surrounding areas in around 1930s? He was married to a DORA MERCY PALMER (formally COLLET) WILSON PALMER was their son and the adoptive family of my maternal grandmother.
  2. J

PALMER FAMILY . METRO-CAMMELL CARRIAGE WORKS, SALTLEY

Hi, my maternal grandmother was adopted by a family from Soho Road/Birmingham area in 1936. Her adoptive father was Thomas Wilson Palmer and a woman called Dora Palmer. They had a son called Wilson Palmer but moved to Wednesbury around 1939. Unsure if this is of any relevance or use to you but...
  3. J

Lost Birmingham Pubs

1905 it was ran by a James Smith and then a William Palmer in 1908
  4. J

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Yes lol around 1908
  5. J

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Soho Hill I think it may have been and around 1908
  6. J

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Hi, do you have any memories of the Beehive in around the 1900s onwards? I would like to know if you or anyone you remembers a gentleman by the name of 'Thomas Wilson Palmer' whom I believe ran the place for a bit.
  7. J

Dudley Zoo.

I'm 36 now and I have been going to the Zoo since I was a baby and I have never once been bored of the place. It holds so many memories for me plus I still find it quite amusing that Dudley has a Zoo but as a Tiptonian born and bred, I'm proud of the significance of the Black Country and...
  8. J

Victoria Road, Bridge Street West and Preston Road 1934

Hi folks, did anyone live in any of the streets /roads I mentioned in the thread title either before 1934 or between 1934 - 1936 and know/knew of the Collett and/or Palmer family?
  9. J

Lozells

Just out of sheer curiosity, do you have any idea what happened after he took the keys to the coppers? Did he manage to get to his holiday?
  10. J

Black Country Museum

Apparently, my paternal great grandfather was off the barges, I'm unsure how true that is because my grandmother also said that he was 7ft 2" in his stocking feet and when the horse was tired, he'd put it on the barge and pull it himself lol
  11. J

Black Country Museum

Arm whats known as a Yam Yam to yo brummies lol
  12. J

Black Country Museum

Looking at the photo, if you imagine turning about 45° to your left, the tunnel I explored is there or the entrance to it at least. Its so cool but sadly don't think it'll be accessible again which pains me knowing the huge underground caverns we're almost within reach but waded through the...
  13. J

Black Country Museum

Yes, Castle Mill Basin is where the tunnel is. The 2 of them are used for the boat tours but the one gated off is the one I speak of. I have been trying to find some fellow explorers to go adventuring but not that simple sadly but summers coming so fingers crossed lol
  14. J

Black Country Museum

About 20 years ago, me and some mates went over Wren's Nest and entered into the Seven Sisters Caves that used to be visible from a viewing platform but are now filled in with bricks sadly. Anyway, me and my mates climbed the fence and armed with nothing but a really bright torch ventured...
  15. J

Black Country Museum

I live in Tipton which isn't very far from the Black Country Living Museum. It's one of the few places left that maintains, promotes and educates people about the history of the local area and its significance during the industrial revolution. There is also a great place just behind it called...
  16. J

Metro Progress 2022

This picture reminds of a job that I once had where I had to dig out huge holes in the ground to extract water from...... it was Well boring! (I'll fetch my coat!)
  17. J

Pubs Of The Past

I really don't know but sounds fair to me! lol I'm from the Black Country and I'm sure there is/was a pub round here called the yard of ale? It's got a few old pubs itself but I can't deny that Birmingham is far more historic and don't want to start discussing Tipton on a Birmingham forum lol
  18. J

Pubs Of The Past

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yard_of_ale%23:~:text%3DThe%2520glass%2520most%2520likely%2520originated,drinking%2520feats%2520and%2520special%2520toasts.&ved=2ahUKEwifoZ7lgbD3AhVJQMAKHc8-DEUQFnoECA8QBQ&usg=AOvVaw2UP2AJsS94ThaUQT1APmGn (IF...
  19. J

Pubs Of The Past

Arguably a lot to do with a pub my friend lol a yard of ale you don't see much nowadays do you tbh. Slightly before my time but I can recall the vessels they were in. Very similar to a test tube or something out of a science lab which possibly where it derives but have no idea
  20. J

Pubs Of The Past

I stand corrected said the man in the orthopaedic shoes! Lol as each day passes I am not completely sure of anything I say but Thomas Wilson Palmer was the adoptive father of my maternal grandmother and he married a DORA MERCY COLLET who became Palmer. They are listed as living at 15 Piercy...
Back