• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Dunlop

Many thanks, Mikejee - it was a massive site. The father of the family lived in Park Road at the end of the 19th century which would have been very convenient for walking to work. After his marriage, he moved to Long Acre before moving to Erdington sometime between 1901 and 1911.
  2. M

Dunlop

I've just been looking at a 1921 census entry for a family where the father, son and daughter all worked for Dunlop but gave different places of work. The father was a sectional manager and gave his workplace as Aston. The daughter was a clerk and worked at Erdington and the son was a motor...
  3. M

JOSEPH CARDO..COVENTRY ROAD

Just found him on the Birmingham Cemeteries database - he too is at Yardley Cemetery, listed as Joseph Cards!
  4. M

Emily, his wife, was buried at Yardley Cemetery as was his eldest son, George William Gordon Cardo, who died of consumption in 1899 and his youngest daughter, Evelyn Hilda Swain Cardo, who died in Buckinghamshire in 1973. His younger son, Harry Swain Cardo, was buried in the family vault at...
  5. M

Yes, he and his daughters lived at Malvern Villas, New Road. His daughters were actually on holiday in Torquay at the time of the census. He died in 1914 but I have yet to find where he is buried.
  6. M

Thank you all so much for the information. I agree that Kensington Villa is not the same property as 507, Coventry Road. I'm really grateful to you all.
  7. M

Thank you Pedrocut. Harry was Joseph and Emily's second child. He was baptised at St. Edmund's Church, Dudley (where both his parents grew up) in June 1870 - Joseph gave their address as Regent Place, Belgrave Road, Edgbaston in the baptismal register so they must have moved to Coventry Road...
  8. M

Rackhams Store

I worked in Birmingham in the 1980s and loved browsing round Rackhams in my lunch hour; trying to dodge the ladies on the cosmetics counters who had a tendency to squirt you with perfume as you walked past! I well remember the food hall on the lower ground floor - we always used to go there for...
  9. M

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

I have found this thread so interesting and loved seeing the photographs. I found out recently that two very distant cousins lived at the Orphanage after their parents died. Harriet and Jane Dunn, born in 1861, were twins and the youngest of 8 children. Their mother died in 1863 aged 39...
  10. M

Dunlop

I've found this thread fascinating. I've been doing some research into the descendants of Joseph Cardo who was born in Dudley in 1873 and moved to Aston with his family between 1881 and 1891. He married Lilian Jane Jones at St. Peter and St. Pauls Church, Aston in 1899 and gave his occupation...
  11. M

Osbourne family Hurst Street

Thank you Astoness. My apologies for posting in the wrong section.
  12. M

Thank you for your response - I admit I hadn't considered a farm cart. The church in Wordsley is only a quarter of a mile from the canal so my first thought was that might be how they transported the bodies. However, I've no idea whether that would have been allowed.
  13. M

Thank you for your response, MWS. The Cardo family were certainly connected to the church at Wordsley and used it for baptisms and burials from when it opened in 1832. They may have had a family plot but there is no monumental inscription for this family; in fact, many of the graves in the...
  14. M

In 1881, John and Sarah Osbourne were living in the Courts on Hurst Street, Birmingham with their children: Sarah Jane, Mary Elizabeth, Phoebe, George Henry and Joseph. John Osbourne, a Miller by trade, was originally from Evesham in Worcestershire whilst his wife Sarah (nee Cardo) was born in...
  15. M

Courtyards and yards of brum

Thank you; I have a copy of his will. George Gordon Cardo and Jane Swain were married at St. Martin's in the Bullring as were his parents, Joseph Cardo and Ann Gauden.
  16. M

Courtyards and yards of brum

His name was George Swain Cardo and he was born in Dudley, Worcestershire in 1829. He probably inherited the properties in Cliveland Street from his father, George Gordon Cardo. His mother was Jane Swain - she died in 1836 a week after giving birth to her fifth child. George Swain Cardo moved...
Back