• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

Carters White Horse

Further to all the help I have had with this query I am tempted to think the most likely was the White Horse in Congreve St. Although it isn't that close to Smethwick and Birmingham Heath, it would have been convenient for my 2 x great grandfather. More often than not he was making a journey...
  2. D

Carters White Horse

Many thanks Motorman-Mike - although when my 2 x great grandfather was making these journeys (1835-45) I doubt there were trams. Kind regards, Dick
  3. D

Carters White Horse

Hi Lloyd, Thanks a million - I am slowly gathering pictures and docs relating to Thomas Townshend and this is great. Cheers, Dick
  4. D

Carters White Horse

Thanks Mikejee, Lloyd and Dek for your replies - they certainly give me something to work on. Cheers, Dick
  5. D

Carters White Horse

My 2 x great grandfather stayed at a hostelry somewhere around Birmingham Heath in 1835 - 1845 according to his diaries. He referred to this as Carters or the White Horse or Carters White Horse. Possibly Carter was the "landlord". Does anyone know anything about this inn/pub, particularly where...
  6. D

St Mary's Handsworth Graveyard Map

Thanks Oisin, I will write there. Cheers, Dick
  7. D

St Mary's Handsworth Graveyard Map

Does anyone know if the "Friends of St. Mary's Churchyard" as referred to above in 2008 is up and running and looking for donations. I have relatives buried there and would like to support the renovation.
Back