• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Burlington St Schools

Brummy-lad, I suspect your Miss Rock was actually a Mrs. In the 1939 register the name Rock is written over her maiden name Birkbeck. Nora J Birkbeck married a Frederick T Rock in 1939 Q4 in Birmingham. The attached article from the Birmingham Mail on 8th August 1981 tells of Nora Rock, a 70...
  2. B

Evacuee from Stirchley - help

The attached photos might show where our Stirchley evacuee was staying in Barton Under Needwood. John Edward Showell, the baker, died in Oct 1970 and the probate record gives his address as 48 Main Street. A couple of years later, the property was offered for sale and the sales particulars...
  3. B

Park Lane...Aston

This article from the Birmingham Mail in 1970 relates to Dave's photo of Ingram's Stores in Park Lane.
  4. B

88 Queens Road, Aston 1883

Mary's brother in law, Harry Arthur Botwood, reporter, wrote a 97 page booklet entitled "A History of Aston Manor Past and Present". It was printed by himself in Victoria Road in 1889. The document can be viewed in full by searching in Google Books. The book was illustrated by Mary's brother R K...
  5. B

Baines' Dairy Station Road Erdington

Amanda, your brother in law's uncle was Philip Austin Baines. Born on 23 June 1906, to Joseph and Agnes and he was living with them at 29 Station Road in the 1911 census. He married Irene Mary King in Birmingham in 1935 Q3. In the 1939 Register the couple lived at 28 Machin Road B23 and he was...
  6. B

Baines' Dairy Station Road Erdington

Joseph George Baines, dairyman (retail) was listed at 29 Station Road in both the 1901 and 1911 census and the also in the1939 Register. In the 1901, the building is named as Rose Cottage. It was situated opposite the junction with Osbourne Road. He had married Agnes Jay in 1898. Joseph and his...
  7. B

Houses built in 1930’s

The newscutting was published in the Sunday Mirror on 19th August 1973
  8. B

Yenton Garage , Erdington , Birmingham 23

This image, previously posted in the Street Furniture thread by Vivienne, shows Yenton Garage adjacent to The Yenton pub, on the opposite side of Chester Road to the present McDonalds, where the Esso Station and Tesco Express now stand. Am I correct in recalling that, in the early 60s, there...
  9. B

King Edwards Grammar School Aston 1883

Welcome to the forum Jim. Your expert knowledge of the school will be useful here. Thanks for casting doubt on my description of the photo in post 3. On closer inspection, I agree that the caps do look different to my Aston cap from the 1960s. However, I am sure that the photo includes my uncle...
  10. B

Cox family

He was living ay number 17 along with 10 others
  11. B

Cox family

12. B

Famous People of Birmingham Crossword

Thank you MWS. Both educational and entertaining.
  13. B

Famous People of Birmingham Crossword

No 2 Walker (Murray)
  14. B

Frank Clissold ," Peterbrook", Peterbrook Road

Hayley, the attached news report records the fire.
  15. B

Newspapers : Newspaper Archive new issues of local journals

Free access to the newspaper archive via FMP. This message appeared on Findmypast this afternoon. We are deeply saddened this week by the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and extend our deepest sympathies to the royal household at this time. We are commemorating her reign by allowing...
  16. B

Lichfield Road Aston

An article in the Evening Despatch on 18th August 1939 gives the location of the fire as on the corner of Waterworks Street and Lichfield Road and names the occupier of the premises as Mr B J Banning.
  17. B

Lichfield Road Aston

The cafe was at 533 Lichfield Road. In 1936 and 1937 they were advertising for a live-in girl or young woman in the local press as far afield as Sheffield and Derbyshire. In the 1939 Register the proprietor was Charles W Phillips.
  18. B

Newspapers : Newspaper Archive new issues of local journals

Yes RRJ, Findmypast membership includes access to the British Newspaper Archive including those in the weekly updates that mikejee helpfully provides.
  19. B

Old Pictures of Erdington (needing attention please)

This is a better image of the Old Tollgate House in Gravelly Hill taken from Birmingham Mail 8th February 1939 in the newspaper archive. Can't find any of the others though.
Back