• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. E

Telephone history: Telephone Service in Birmingham

Yes , I went to a few union meetings there too. Am I correct in thinking they actually had a bar in there or is my memory failing me?
  2. E

I worked as an engineer at Rubery manual exchange during its conversion to automatic exchange. I tested the lines as the phones were changed to dialling type( 706 and 746 in think),and I remember seeing quite a few candlestick phones being thrown in a pile into an old room at the back of the...
  3. E

I joined gpo in 1958 and did y2yc apprenticeship. The training school was at Shirley, and did I think Youths A and B courses Went on to Exchange Construction in 1960 and spent my time as C.O W 's after promotion to TO. Later got promoted to Level 1, then transferred to the Region. Worked there...
Back