• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Pronunciation

I always pronounce it as Smethick.
  2. B

BHF Summer Meet Up...... On the Day

Very nice to meet some of you today.I was a bit late due to circumstances beyond my control but I enjoyed every minute.Regards,BobS.
  3. B

Soho Road Handsworth

Why have you got a picture of the Salutation pub which was in Alma Street in Aston on this article.It totally threw me and I had to look amongst my pictures to find out where it was.
  4. B

Uffculme Open Air School

Re: did any one go to uffculme open air school, think it was either Moseley or Kings My son used to go to Uffculme school a few years ago so I do know a little about it but I have lately bought a book called 'A Breath of fresh air' by Francis Wilmot and Pauline Saul and I think it tells you...
  5. B

The Woodman

It was my favourite pub when it was run by Jim and Mary Gilnagh and he kept the best pint of Tetleys bitter you could get anywhere and he was a non-drinker.I used to work at Sankeys next door to the pub and it was always my first port of call on my way home.
  6. B

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Re: Birmingham Nighclubs of the Past- Memories Saw Bo Diddley there many moons ago!!The Cedar club,that is.
  7. B

C brandaurs is saved...

Fantastic news!!!!
  8. B

Book: Birmingham Pevsner Architectural Guides by Andy Foster

You need to get ' Birmingham by Andy Foster' which is a follow on from Pevsner and is just about Brum rather than the whole of Warks.Regards BobS.
  9. B

city centre pub!

It sounds to me as if it could have been the Fox and Grapes on Park St./Freeman St.corner.
  10. B

Mot

I remember when I was just about sixteen years old and worked in Browne's garage in Frank Street in Balsall Heath,just above Dare's brewery,and I used to do M.O.T.s ,this was in the early sixties, and almost every vehicle that came in for the test failed on the brakes or tyres.I used to drive...
  11. B

Alldays & Onions

The truck looks like a Standard Atlas.
  12. B

Book: Birmingham Pevsner Architectural Guides by Andy Foster

I do have Pevsners Warwickshire and would be happy to look for anything you want and post it.
  13. B

Holders Brewery

Alas,Nova Scotia Street is no more!!
  14. B

Digbeth

Couldn't agree more.I first went there in early 1960 when I worked at Henry Shaws' in Birchill street.The sos and tom then was a shilling and I think the dips were tuppence.He use to sell lots of dips to the men who were staying at Rowton House and sometimes when the weather was a bit parky you...
  15. B

Did the 1960's Bull Ring ever undergo a refurbishment?

NO!None at all.
  16. B

P.S.V. Badge

Re: On the buses Were the drivers red as well as their badges?
  17. B

Power plant in digbeth or deritend?

There is a sub-station in upper trinity street with a large depiction of the birmingham coat of arms above the doors.is this of any help?
  18. B

Books: on pre 1851 Birmingham

Try the Victoria History of the County of Warwick which is just about Birmingham
  19. B

Iron Horse Pub Yardley

And here it is,
Back