• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. H

Vox Fakir Newey Brothers Ltd

I don't know whether this helps or not, but the fact that it uses FETs (Field Effect Transistors) means the earliest date it could have been made was the mid-1960s (when FETs became commercially available at a reasonable price), and that information being displayed so prominently suggests that...
  2. H

Vox Fakir Newey Brothers Ltd

I don't know if this pins down the date or not, but that entry reads as follows: "Manufacturers of buttons, hooks and eyes, hairpins and wireless accessories. Records from 1864 to 1934 are stored in Birmingham City Archives." If that means they were making 'wireless accessories' by at least...
  3. H

Water : Springs and wells of Birmingham

When you say 'farmland', Vivienne, do you know what the land was used for - i.e., arable or stock-rearing? If the latter, I can well believe that the farmer would want his own source of clean water. Some years back, I was working with some Suffolk Punch draft horses. In the winter, when they...
  4. H

Birmingham's Working Horses

@mikejee - I was saddened by what I read in a caption underneath a photo published by David Flett on Flickr (link below) regarding Young's Brewery. I quote: "Once a respected Wandsworth, London, institution, it closed not long after I took these pictures in June 2006. The company continued to...
  5. H

Not really, Mike. As with so many jobs, there is no 'one-size-fits-all' solution; it's a matter of what's the most appropriate tool for the job. For a start, the capital cost of a horse was much less than a comparable motor vehicle, and even when it became too old to do heavy delivery work...
  6. H

Here's another clip of a shunting horse, this time working in Sheffield, and moving a wagon from one road in the shed to an adjacent one. Note the way the horse gets the wagon moving fast enough to bounce off the spring buffers at the end of the head shunt, spins round, and having let the...
  7. H

Below is a link to a British Pathe film showing a shunting horse at work at Newmarket. This might appear to be a very tough job, but in reality it was a hard pull for a matter of seconds until the wagon or coach started to roll - then it only took a realtively light pull to keep it on the move...
  8. H

So what if they have never worked? They don't see themselves as 'just pets' - but as very hardy animals to whom being out in all weathers is normal!
  9. H

A friend of mine had some Dartmoor ponies, and when she moved them to a new field one winter which - unlike the previous one - was rather exposed, she bought a sizeable field shelter for them. The day after they moved, it was raining hard, and very windy, so she put their hay in the shelter...
  10. H

As long as Shetlands have a windbreak, they're not fussed about the cold. I used to live up the Dee Valley, halfway between Aberdeen and Balmoral. One bitterly cold winter, I was driving to work past a farm where the farmer had a few Shetlands as a bit of a hobby. They were grazing out in the...
  11. H

QRZ? It's Jack, M0DZM :)
  12. H

Standing joke amongst horse owners: Q. How do you end up with a small fortune? A. Start off with a large fortune, and buy a horse! (my wallet just said "SHADDUP, will ya? I'm still in rehab from when you had Brown Bob!") Jack (M0DZM)
  13. H

Bear in mind that the purchase price is just that; then the bills come in. native type ponies, such as Welsh ponies, in light work, can often go without shoes, but their feet still need regular checks from a hoof trimmer; if you do a fair bit of road work, they may need shoes, at least on the...
  14. H

There's an awful lot wrong with that article, Pete - it's both factually wrong and contradictory. For example, describing the Welsh Mountain Pony (Class A) as "3ft tall" - when the smallest of them are 11.2 hands, i.e., 3ft 10" - and saying that Welsh cobs go up to 16 hands, when the tallest of...
  15. H

The horses are fairly small; and the one on the left is a pony, probably about 14.2 hands (a hand being 4 inches, = 4 ft 10 ins at the top of the shoulder). The size of horse or pony bought would depend on the load to be hauled, and the steepness of the hills on its round. Nowadays, a haulier...
Back