• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

Fisher & Ludlows factory

My cousins father Alan Bellew worked at Fisher and Ludlow I think in the 1950s as did his father in law ( how he met his wife) Ted Caudle. Ted was the youngest of the Caudle brothers and my own Grandad William was the eldest. Photos are great but I don’t recognise anyone sadly!
  2. A

Airships over Birmingham ?

I have a b/w photo in my parents box of old pics, of a Zeppelin over Bordesley way - thought it was from 1930s. Spooky, just hanging there in the sky over Bham!
  3. A

Beck

Thanks thats super interesting. It fits. Can you see anywhere who Mary Marshalls parents were?!
  4. A

Beck

I have just seen this. Not sure ifvits the same Beck - I have been trying to go back into my Great Grandma’s line. She was Charlotte Beardshaw, née Wanklin. Her mother was Harriet Wanklin, née Beck. Harriet’s mother was a Mary Beck. Harriet was born approx 1848 so Mary Beck prob born 1827/8 -...
  5. A

Sheldon

This is sth I have just seen with interest. My mother’s maiden name was Caudle. Grandad’s brother Jack had a haulage firm. Could be same one! It’s an unusual surname... My side of the family lived in Sparkhill, but were from country stock in Yardley originally.
  6. A

Aston Villa history

My Dad Gordon Parkes and my Grandpa Ernie Parkes were regulars at the Villa. From age 6 I used to go with them ( lifted over the “boys” turnstile gate!!) Dad often talked about Harry Parkes being a cousin... he did indeed run a shop and had been a player. Never met him. I do have Charlie...
  7. A

In search of army records for Francis Langford RFA - regiment no: 3295 / 837411

Hi there, My Grandpa Edgar Ernest Parkes (born 1898 lived in Selly Oak) was also in the Gunners RFA!! He signed up very early and I knew him, as altho he lost an eye in battle nr St Quentin, whilst riding the horse pulling the gun waggons. Happily he survived and lived a happy life in Kings...
  8. A

Smith Street School Hockley

Fab photos of Smith St school thanks so much! My Grandma lived in a very humble dwelling on Smith St in 1902... the school for her was a haven. In 1927 - then living near Highbury Park and happily married, she went back and carried my Dad, a babe in his shawl, to show to her teachers! Heard many...
  9. A

Smith Street School Hockley

Smith St was not a Catholic School as far as I know. My Grandmother was there from 1902 til 1908 and I have her 100% attendance medal! Headmaster then was a Mr Bridges. He awarded lots of books as prizes. The Smith St school log book survived both wars and I saw it 18 yrs ago on a nostalgic...
  10. A

FELLOWS family lived in & around Aston

Thanks very much - yes I had researched all that info a while back. St John's Ave, Allesley St - now bulldozed to make way for Spaghetti junction sadly! Happier times then, tho father had died when she was 3 yrs old, (but pre Alfred, 2nd husband....)I have her original birth certificate from...
  11. A

Thank you so much, that is amazingly helpful. I do not know the Quinton area at all (and left Brum many years ago), but can see that the address in Overdale Rd is Quinton. I am fascinated now, as the A. Fellows senior was from all reports not a very pleasant person, so the fact she was maybe...
  12. A

Thanks for responding. Yes that was his name and definitely (back of) Frankfort St. He had a son also called Alfred, so I reckon that is who was listed as "living with his Stepmother" - said stepmother being my Great Grandma, Charlotte, I guess. Would you be able to tell me the address where...
  13. A

Hello My great - grandmother lived with, and later married an Alfred Fellows. Frankfort St in Aston area. 1911 census. He had a few so s with her... Edwin, Jack...I am quite interested in knowing if any of his descendants still live in the Bham area.
Back