• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Canals of Birmingham

1913 apparently, from another thread on this page. Birmingham Mail Archive pic
  2. S

Horses on the canals

2nd lock down Ryders Green Flight I believe.
  3. S

Canals of Birmingham

And another picture, from Old Turn Junction looking towards Broad Street Tunnel. This view is now considerably changed, with the ICC on the left, and Brindley Place to the right.
  4. S

Canals of Birmingham

OK, I will accept that some coal may have come from Cannock, but the canal was originally planned to Wolves. It is certainly a very interesting subject when delved in to. Things like the Newcomen Steam Engine installed at Lord Dudley's coal mines at the now Black Country Museum, in 1712. I...
  5. S

Canals of Birmingham

The coal came from the Black Country. Original Act of Parliament 1767 was for a navigable canal to Wolverhampton, with branches to Ocker Bonk and Wednesbury. There is (was) a massive seam of coal under the BlacK Country, I believe 30 feet thick.
  6. S

Horses on the canals

Bottom lock of Factory 3 at Tipton is a sort of split bridge, albeit cantilevered, but with gap to allow rope through
  7. S

Canals of Birmingham

And more
  8. S

Canals of Birmingham

A few old pics for your amusement. Gas Street Basin, circa 1938. First view is towards the old terminus in Paradise Street, the second is a rare shot showing a boat coming through the lock. The reason it is rare is that it shows the two sets of gates at the near end of the lock. Between the BCN...
Back