• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. A

Bob Wilson’s Fun Fair

i am looking for information regarding the bob wilsons fun fair can anybody throw some light on this wilsons fair ground when did they ever start this fair Astonian,,
  2. A

Robert Peel Statue Birmingham

Astatue of robert peel stood in victoria square but removed, after an accident onNovember 11 1926, The driver of a large lorry, whom presumerly failed to keep to keep his eyes peeled, Struck a gas lamp that fell across the statue and hit Peel on the head, The statue toppled onto the carrige way...
  3. A

Clifford Street Aston,

did you ever live in clifford aston if so here is the declining of clifford street aston 1967 here is a photograph of clifford street aston , have you got memories of clifford street whendid you leave clifford street
  4. A

Bread Factory,s

Hi Guys I have just mentioined Hawleys bakeries on mosely road and kryick lane and i thought i had a picture of the owners house being collected in a horse and carriage by an employee to bring him to his office at Hawleys, but apparently i have not got one of him it was infact...
  5. A

H V Smiths

Hi Guys I am enquiring about a cake shop on the flat of lodge road hockley, I drove up past there the other day and as you all know i live in worcester , and also i used to go to ickneild street hockley brook as a kid and living up at spring hill which aint to far away and doing our shopping...
  6. A

Ward End Fire

Hi guys i have been told that there is a big fire going on in ward end Can anybody confirm this , Some one said its the old exservice club, i had been told years ago it had been sold off, and apparently its not the first time it was set on fire Can anybody confirm it was sold and to whom if...
  7. A

Betting Office run by a Mr williams

Hi Guys Firstly may i say I opologise if this is in the wrong thread and secondly I am Researching betting shops or in the case of bookie runners of the yester years Before the betting shops became legal in early 1900s I am looking for information ofa Bookie by the name of williams whom I...
  8. A

Hovel Jerry’s Lane Erdington

Afew years back in time in erdington there was an old hovel and it was sold for 50,000 pounds It is estimated that it would have sold for the equivervalent of two and half pence at the time It was built in andariund 1801 it was last lived in ,in 1992 Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,
  9. A

Birmingham International Airport

Hi guys In October 2003 thousands of Spectators filled Birmingham International Airport to watch the last appeareance of concorde as part of its Farewell tour Before being taken out of service . The Last 12,000 Spitfires flew off the production line at the Castle Bromwich factory in 1946 it...
  10. A

Birmingham Pubs 1880

In 1880 Birmingham had an amazing number of pubs Including fifteen red Lions, and three Black Lions, Fouteen white Swans, eleven , and four Swans with two Necks, TwoDogs snd two Dogs and Duck as well as three red cows, four Behives and two Eagles, There was no Partridge in a Pear Tree, But...
  11. A

A Certain Train Of Thought

Hi spotters Did you know ,the locomotive in the millennium point Gallery, The city of Birmingham, made its last trip under steam on may 19 1966 From crewe to Lawley street, then by road to the old science museum in her twenty five years of service she travelled 1,650,000 miles The equivvalent...
  12. A

Selling Of Wives In England

In 1773 three men and three wives went to the Bell Inn in Edgbaston street Birmingham and made the following singular entry in the toll book which is kept there, August 31 st .1773 Samuel Whitehouse of the parish of Willenhall,in the county of Stafford, this day sold his wife mary Whitehouse...
  13. A

Book: Birmingham The Changing Face Of The City &Its People

Hi guys I went to my little book shop in bromsgrove today which is a gem of a shop And today i found a book ,called past and present Birmingham It was on sale originaly at WHSmith At A price of 14 pounds and 99 pence But i bought it from this shop for a little vale of 1.99 pence mint condition...
  14. A

Spitfire Fund

Title Brum at War, Chief Spitfire pilot, Alex Henshaw, based at Castle Bromwich, was threatened with arrest By the police after a PR stunt over the city centre. In September 1940 a Captured Messerschmitt was put on show next to the Hall of memory and huge crowds gathered to see it, Raising funds...
  15. A

Hamstead Colliery Fire

Hamstead Colliery was the scene of a disaster in March 1908. It is thougnt a miner droped a lighted Candle into a box of Candles and this set Fire to the wooden pit props, 8,000 onlookers appeared at the scene as rescuers got to work They found the remains of 25 Men and 30 pit ponies, The...
  16. A

I,ll Drink To That

Famous Brum brewers Ansells were based in Aston, partly on the former grounds of Aston Hall, and taking as there Logo is a squirrell. This was on the crest of Thomas Holte who Owned Aston Hall. The Home end at Aston Villa,s ground is called The Holte End. William Butler of Mitchell a Butlers...
  17. A

Serious Riot In Birmingham 1875

In 1875 PC Lines becomes the second police man to be killed on duty in birminghm Arresting Officers were often set upon by drunken gangs determined to release there mates Lines was Stabbed in the carotid artery.his killer Jeremiah corkery was hanged And five accomplices were sentenced to life...
  18. A

The Number Eight Bus

Hi guys The good old number 8 bus is still running around today after all these years,still as busy as always and slow in some places around the route the number 8 bus travelling up Muntz street can be a hard time for drivers But on the subject of Muntz street, Small Heath, As it used to be...
  19. A

Kings Norton Church On The Green

I guys yesterday I came to brum yesterday morning and I came to get a load of turf from the fencing company situated on the main road just short of the island at the green and just on that green to your right there is a big church Can anybody tell me the name of that church, another question I...
  20. A

Kings Heath Baptist Church

During The Renovations at The Baptist Church In Kings Heath In January 2009 Workmen uncovered a Pottery Container,Containing papers From1872 These related To The Beginning Of Baptist Worship In Kings Heath That Began in 1811. later The Same Workmen Uncovered Another Container That Held More...
Back