• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

If you could live anywhere in Birmingham, where would it be?

Referring to the title of this thread, how about our current abode? My wife and I and our three grown up children moved into our house in 1992. All three children flew the nest within five years allowing us to adapt our house to our requirements and we have no wish to ever leave. We have...
  2. C

Small Heath Park (Victoria Park)

I have a vivid memory of being in Small Heath park in 1956 when news came through that Birmingham City had beaten Sunderland 3-0 in an FA Cup semi final. Pity they couldn't finish the job, losing 3-1 to Manchester City in the final. The park was walking distance from our house in Sparkbrook so...
  3. C

Where was your first holiday?

My first holidays were to Barmouth. Besides me there were a brother and sister who are twins. Early 50s and I'm sure our parents had to go without to afford us our annual week away. Anyone who's taken the train to Bamouth from Birmingham will know that it's a lovely journey that only gets...
  4. C

Co-op horse

My mom's number was 373754. There were stables in Anderton Road, Sparkbrook which I'm reasonably sure we're for the Co-op horses. They would have been part of, or adjacent to the council yard on the corner of Anderton Road and Montgomery Street.
  5. C

Sutton Coldfield

The photo sadly shows the damage repairs to the platform caused by the train crash in January 1955.
  6. C

Illey Fields Pub

Was it the Merrits Brook at the bottom of the Holloway?
  7. C

The Railways

Memories of my youth spent on the Small Heath bridge but the outlook into Birmingham city centre has changed completely. That's a great shot Covroad.
  8. C

B'ham Works Amateur Football Association

My best guess is that the Birmingham Works AFA finished around 1980 when there was an exodus of their clubs to Birmingham AFA. I think the office for the Works AFA was on Stratford Road, Hall Green very near to the Rialto cinema. The Birminham AFA has now become the Birmingham Football League.
  9. C

Bromyard Star football club

I played against them in 1970s. They played at Daisy Farm Rec at that time in the South Birmingham Sunday League.
  10. C

Metropolitan Cammel sportsground

All in the complex that's Holly Lane Sports and Social Club now. It started off with HP Sauce ground at Grange Road then the Delta Metals pitches right through to the Gas Ground at Woodacre Road. None of those pitches now belong to the original occupants.
  11. C

Worst car of the 1960's

I started out driving in 1964 with an Austin A35 followed by an Austin Cambridge and subsequently an Austin A40 Farina. All had rust problems but were reliable mechanically. During my years of driving I've had experiences of most popular makes with differing results but I can only remember...
  12. C

Acocks Green

Thanks for the photo RobT. Happy memories of our time in Acocks Green.
  13. C

Acocks Green

My wife and I got married on 27th December 1965 and did our first grocery shop at Wrenson's, Acocks Green on 28th December. It was the first shop on the left in the village just after Dudley Park Road The manager was Mr Hatton. Some things you never forget. We're still shopping but at ASDA...
  14. C

Ritz Dance Hall Kings Heath.

My wife and I were regulars at The Ritz around 1963-65 before we got married. I remember seeing John Lee Hooker and Wilson Pickett among many others and a band from Walsall, The Redcaps always impressed me. Great memories locked away for ever.
  15. C

ITS VIVIENNES 14s BIRTHDAY

Happy Birthday Viv. A memorable one in many ways.
  16. C

Grandma VIVIENNE 14

Congratulations Viv!
  17. C

Sparkhill

It was many moons ago that the ballroom above Burtons, Sparkhill was referred to and I can't see that anyone has named it since. I remember it as the Star Ballroom early to mid 60s.
  18. C

Warwick Road Greet.

I can confirm that the shop on the corner of Medina Road and Havelock Road was considered the "tuck shop" for pupils of Yardley Grammar School and in my time at that school, 1957-62 was in the ownership of "Woolleys".
  19. C

Yardley Secondary School Grammar School

Are you Richard Chadwick?
  20. C

My First Car

My first car was an Austin A35, 948 cc A Series engine. Had it off my uncle who had it new on the employee's scheme. He was a tinsmith in the Austin West Works from 1934 until his retirement in 1975. After 58 years of driving - countless cars and motorbikes, I'm back to a 1 litre again. Toyota...
Back