• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Tolkien's Birmingham

On a visit to Iceland many years ago. We were told by the guide that Tolkien's nanny was Icelantic and she told him many of the folk-law stories that are passed down verbally through the families during the long winter nights. Those he eventually wrote down and that is were he got his stories.
  2. B

Birmingham Cinemas

Was it 'The News Theatre?
  3. B

Greys Department Store

The nurse was very efficient. When I worked in Greys Cash Office I was about 18 and I developed a carbuncle under an armpit. It was very uncomfortable and went to see her. While she was examining me deciding of whether to lance it or draw it with dressings the phone went and it was my dept...
  4. B

Ansells Brewery

I was Ansells Aldridge during the strike. I took redundancy as many of us did, the money was so good and if your were of working age you could get a another job quite easily. I had beer tickets too it was a choice of those or the money. If you had the tickets some of the managed house managers...
  5. B

Manor Park School Vicarage Road

A bit late for Treena Mullet to be still at school. I have printed the photo and will show her as soon as I can get to see her. Thank you for the pic. Avril.
  6. B

When would those pics have been taken? One look like my friend Treena. Avril
  7. B

My close friend Treena was there in the 50's. She was great friends with Jennifer (name forgotten) If anyone knows where she is now please post on here. Thanks, Avril.
  8. B

Dorrington Road School

I went to Dorrington Road Infants & then Juniors I was born in 1944 so I must have been there from 1949 until around 1955 when I went to Beeches. I can remember Miss Jones, Mr Smith & Mr Aspinall the Head. He would play us classical music in the hall and explain the story. I remember Peter and...
  9. B

St. Mary's (Aston Brook) Church School

Thank you. This has made very interesting reading.
  10. B

St. Mary's (Aston Brook) Church School

Were there any other Primary Schools in the area around Lichfield Road? My friend remembers going to school there but not the name of the school. Avril.
  11. B

Greys Department Store

I remember Mrs Reynolds. She was a dragon. Her blond hair was always looking perfect. She must have pulled it up on top of her head and had a bun wig covering it. If ever there was a complaint she would call one of the directors to get her opinion in before the complaining person got out of the...
  12. B

Zephyr sewing machines

Can anyone help with this query? I have a sewing machine sold by Universal in Hurst Street Birmingham in the 1960's. A Zephyr model. I read somewhere that they were made by BSM. I would think that it would be Birmingham made as we did everyhting in those days. I don't belive that it would have...
  13. B

New Street City Centre Birmingham

I can remember tobacco kiosks scattered about. This one was more of a tiny shop inside the second or maybe the third building on the right as you went into Needless Alley from New Street. This would be end of the 40's or very early 50's.
  14. B

New Street City Centre Birmingham

I had an Uncle who kept a wholesale tobacconist business in Needless Alley. I can remember going there with my father when I was quite small and being amazed at how tiny the shop it was inside. There was room for two people to stand side by side and uncle behind the counter. I wonder if it's...
  15. B

Birmingham Cinemas

I worked part time in 1960 a couple evenings as an usherette at the Clifton. It was run by a married couple who came from the Bristol area of Clifton to open and run it. The name was their choice.There were two ladies who sold tickets and sweets in the foyer. They stayed for years. While I was...
  16. B

Mother and Baby home Moseley

I was in Belle Walk M&B Home. August - November 1962 Yes you could just go and take your baby with you. IF you had somewhere to go. Lucky for me my Mom decided to take me back with the baby. Dad had left us some years before so it was not easy for her to cope with the shame that I took back with...
  17. B

Thomas Wilson Palmer

That is what is shown on the register. There is another word in brackets but I cant' make it out. Lander is an addition but the word in brackets isn't.
  18. B

Thomas Wilson Palmer

Freda Lander (Palmer) b 14 Feb 1934 15 Perry Street Wednesbury.
  19. B

Thomas Wilson Palmer

Would the 1939 register be helpful? She must be on there. Avril.
  20. B

Thomas Wilson Palmer

If you are a relative the adoption agency may help you. Official records are private.
Back