• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. SteveBhx

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

The last picture on the roll is more to show what I had to work with - not blowing my own trumpet people do a lot better job than me, but shows how the photo of the photo is captured . Stuck to a board and hung up outside hence the shadows on some picture, not the best but better than been...
  2. SteveBhx

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

The next picture is the building along covered in scaffolding and hoping to save the frontage, you can just see the edge of it on the modern picture above - not sure they have been successful - it looks like the frontage but now looks like any other modern front and has lost that historic edge.
  3. SteveBhx

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

The next view I am informed is from Sheepcote street towards the Indoor arena or whatever it is called this week !!
  4. SteveBhx

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Moving across town now and we come to Sheepcote Street and the corner of Grosvener Street West, and has survived the redevelopment - any offers on what it housed then or now?
  5. SteveBhx

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

I was going to ask for help with this next picture as it it said old building Regent Street / Vittoria Street, but couldn't make it fit, but then had a quick look on street view and the location is Vittoria Street / Regent Place and is now the site of Argent College.
  6. SteveBhx

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

It often amazes me how often a location has not changed in 30+ years, here we are standing with our back to Vittoria Street looking down Regent Street - you can just make out the street sign on the left. I don't have a date for this picture but others on this roll are from 1993 so we can assume...
  7. SteveBhx

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Next we have another view of the workshops in the Jewellery Quarter, again I am not sure if this shot has been posted before, they all merge into one - as far as I am aware the picture is the right way round. As said previously this is a Health and safety nightmare, open jars, unlabelled...
  8. SteveBhx

Running to the last few slides now - apologies but another view of the Rotunda taken from Manzoni gardens direction, This view does has not have any advertisments around it, not sure which year these would have started. I always felt this area was a meeting place for "couples" as there always...
  9. SteveBhx

Well done, I only noticed when I zoomed in to see what was in the slide image , you know that " Oh fiddle" feeling, Copy of a scan from ages ago, if I get time I will flip it. Thanks
  10. SteveBhx

Thanks Covroad great image and a lot more going on in the background too
  11. SteveBhx

Next we have 4 picture from the same location - unfortunately I do not know where the location is !! These are almshouse and show two view of the courtyard with residents gathered outside and the washing area in the corner. The building at the end seems to be more cummunal living where the other...
  12. SteveBhx

Hi Lyn thanks for the kind words, I am coming to the end of all the black and white images and colour scans - I have a coupke of hundred slides which I " lberated" to scan although some have already been seen and I will start on your negatives as well. I will not be so prolific but will try...
  13. SteveBhx

We are now in Corporation Street and Victoria Law Courts looking a bit more grimey than today. Interesting to see the A34 sign I presume this was the main road in those days. Not sure what was on the extreme right hand corner - neon signs for Bar & , Drag, Chi and Day, Fine selection of cars too.
  14. SteveBhx

I actually have the original for this slide, the scan was back to front so I have flipped the picture, and it is titled Ladywood Soling and Heeling, St Vincent Street, does this mean any more to anyone - St. Vincent Street I understand . An image of times gone by - washing out in the centre...
  15. SteveBhx

This is another view of the Council house - slightly more to the right giving an idea of how the traffic moved at the end of Colmore row, one lane bending back on itself to go down New Street the other going a dog leg to pass in front of the Town hall. To the right is the start of the building...
  16. SteveBhx

Market Hall corner of Jamaica Row and Moat Row, wholesale fish market nearest to the camera, fine ornamental windows , with metal window framing. Suited Gents with the barrow in the foreground, a nice GPO Morris van and a couple of nice mini vans. Yellow "No waiting " sign on the right and a...
  17. SteveBhx

Birds eye view from the south looking towards the city. Top leftish is St Thomas's Church, Bristol Road on the extreme right with New Street Station on the top right edge. Plenty of open / cleared spaces due for the redevelopment of that area.
  18. SteveBhx

Last couple of pictures for today is a bit different, this is Moor hall Farmhouse, 29 Moor Hall Drive Sutton Coldfield - Listed Building - see entry: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1075803?section=official-list-entry, today forming part of the outskirts of Sutton...
  19. SteveBhx

As you have had it quiet easy today, I thought I would give you a challenge, nice run of terraced houses, 6 houses in each block, one door one window downstairs and one window upstairs, and a alleyway in the middle, and a fine selection of chimneys. Hope someone can help identifying the location.
  20. SteveBhx

Next is a picture of the TI House built 1959 which became the Swallow Hotel, which is now a Marriott Hotel. Infront of it is a statue of the abolitionist and activist Joseph Sturge - see below https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Sturge_memorial
Back