• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. R

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I remember walking down to Jazzland before it opened to register as a member. Used to go every week, can’t remember what night of the week. Do I remember the burnt cork club, tec city? I always thought the Plaza Handsworth was the best. Saw the Beatles there when they were the supporting act...
  2. R

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I used to work in Bradford St next to crossroads rehearsal rooms, I always thought it funny seeing Sandy on the tv in a wheelchair then seeing him walk past to go home. I often had to ask Noel G to move her car, she always seemed to park it on our weigh bridge. In 1969/70 I bought the white...
  3. R

C Brandauer & sons

Some time in the mid 60s I was sent to do some electrical work at Brandours nib factory, was it in Hampton Street? It was I think on the second floor. I had to lift two long floor boards, a foreman was watching me and we discovered hundreds and hundreds of nibs, LH , RH , italic and I don't know...
  4. R

Park Lane...Aston

Wendy has just remembered that Lloyds garage and the hairdressers was at no. 109 Park Lane.. does this fit in?
  5. R

Park Lane...Aston

Yes Brummell lad, that is the photo I have. Do the houses further down the street look empty? My wife as a child had her bedroom left hand window above hairdressers.
  6. R

Park Lane...Aston

My wife nee Wendy plater, was brought up by her grandparents. They lived in park lane. His name was Alf Lloyd. He ran a garage and next door was their ladies hairdressers. Alfs good friend was mr Iomey, Tony’s dad. Tony and Ozzy osbourn got together and ran a very old van to take their gear...
  7. R

Lorries - Shenstone Transport, Marsh Lane, Erdington

No, I remember the Salford bridge end of minstead road, my cousins lived towards the bottom on the RH side. The sand area I am thinking about was the other end of minstead towards wheelwright road.
  8. R

when I think hard about it, not easy these days, the entrance to Shenstone transport was off Brookvale walk. I don’t remember the Royal Oak , I was a bit too young for a pint in those days!,thinking again was it Bolton walk? Sorry it’s a very long time ago! I have investigated what I should...
  9. R

This forum is remarkable, it makes it possible to relive the past, it unlocks so many memories........ I did go through the bent railing access to the spinney, and often wondered why it was there. I used to catch the 5A to and from Witton when I was an apprentice at Higgs Motors and prior to...
  10. R

When I talk about moving to Court lane with my family, I will put a few more facts about court lane. I have seen in various forums talk of Aston unity, greyhound pub. And goose more lane. The house dad purchased in court lane was one of two old large houses, we lived at the gables and the other...
  11. R

When my dad Reg Mills left Shenstone transport situations were difficult. He got in touch with Ernest Holmes, who gave him a job checking his lorries. Ernest Holmes was contracted by Garringtons to move goods into and out of Garringtons . Dad decided to move to Bromsgrove to elimate travel...
  12. R

You are correct. Shenstone transport moved to Rushey lane. If I remember correctly, Douglas who owned the land at Marsh lane wanted to build there, so my family moved to Court lane Erdington. Dad located a suitable yard in Rushey lane and the move was made. Since it is over 70 years since the...
  13. R

Dad used to take me to marsh lane on some sat mornings to see the lorries. I remember him talking to Vic, I remember a driver going over to the cafe to get bacon egg and tomato sandwiches ( very messy! )
Back