• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Wobblyclogs

Booths Farm

Look on Google Earth and you can find the foundations which have been excavated and preserved. So I believe. I lived in Heston Avenue as a kid (1939-1960) and live in Great Barr now, just over the boundary in Walsall. Half a mile up the Beacon Road, from the Old Horns and Asda. John
  2. Wobblyclogs

Birmingham City Police 1839 - 1974

Hi Pagan. What was your Dad's name I wonder? I was on the Birmingham Dog Section (With Tosca) 1968 to 1974. I was based at Thornhill, very convenient as I lived in Handsworth at the time. As handlers though we covered the whole of 'C' Division. John Walker
  3. Wobblyclogs

sayings

Gillies is a name given to quite a few fragrant flowers. Wallflowers being one example. They came over from France it seems, around the time of the Norman Invasion. In those days, cloves were used in 'nosegays', which was a means of smothering the scent of unwashed human flesh! The French word...
  4. Wobblyclogs

sayings

Tarrah a bit; if I doan see yer through the wick, oil see yer through the windah. John
  5. Wobblyclogs

sayings

Have a look at Gunga Din by the way. Great Poem by Rudyard Kipling: The last line says it! https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46783/gunga-din John
  6. Wobblyclogs

sayings

Siddown, mek yerself a tum an' a summa tate! You probably heard that before? John
  7. Wobblyclogs

Needless Alley

Oh yes Peter. Thank you. Now I can't get rid of pictures for love nor money!! John
  8. Wobblyclogs

Needless Alley

That's struck a chord in my memory. Our art teacher at Birchfield school (A Mr. Massingham ) set us an exercise to paint or draw some scene or building in Birmingham centre. I chose Needless Alley, and my contribution was something similar to the picture above. I did it in pastel, as a rainy-day...
  9. Wobblyclogs

Turnberry road

I lived next door but one to a David Burrows in Heston Avenue through the late 1940s/50s. His father was the Beat Bobby in Canterbury Road, Birchfields. I am assuming it is the same David Burrows. David was a few years younger than me, and I remember him being a useful little footballer. When I...
  10. Wobblyclogs

Birchfield Secondary Modern School

Thanks Lyn. That has now been rectified. I am obliged Charles. The Mr. Roberts I remember was my form master in my first year at Birchfield. As I recall, he was a tall, slim Welshman; sallow faced, moustachioed and with an extraordinarily prominent larynx, which, whenever he spoke, used to...
  11. Wobblyclogs

Birchfield Secondary Modern School

Thanks Sparks. Well if I got the amount of money wrong I can only claim it was way back in 1950! :yum I know my mother always gave me a couple of bob per day to get my lunch. Chips; not very nutritious I agree, but it's only recently I found out that chips in those days were not bad because of...
  12. Wobblyclogs

Suez Crisis

I note these posts are from 2011. Seems longer ago than 1956! I was in the RN in the Med at the time and my ship, HMS Ulysses (F17) was sent to the Suez, when the Crisis started. I remember spending two days closed up at action stations. Not much else happened to us, other than being kept busy...
  13. Wobblyclogs

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Thank you Nick. I just had a few days of conjunctivitis, which has finally eased, so that explains my 'time-out'. Instead of bothering the Doc, I wash my eyes with boiled water, and honey. (Gone cold of course!) Seems to work, but too much honey and I get bothered with big flies! :) BTW Nick...
  14. Wobblyclogs

Booths Farm

Regarding the Booths Farm farmhouse: I have just been looking at the Google Earth maps. I remember well going down Booths Farm Road to where the shops are now situated, opposite Calshot Road School. Prior to the shops being built, there was a wheat field, behind Cardington Avenue. (When wheat...
  15. Wobblyclogs

Booths Farm

Am I bumping this old thread? I read that Booth was buried in Handsworth Church, church yard; in 'disgrace' under one of the paths in the confines of the church yard itself. I went there to clarify this, but it's so long ago now that I can't recall if there is any marker. Hope that helps...
Back