• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

54 DIGBETH

Wow, thank you all so very much, amazing information. My Grandmother was Rita F. Skillicorn and was listed on the 1901 census (at 9 years old) as a "visitor" at 54 Digbeth. Her mother Rosa Skillicorn/Matthews (she had left her first husband - Mr. Skillicorn - and remarried Tom Matthews, son of...
  2. M

54 DIGBETH

Hi everyone, my Grandmother moved to 54 Digbeth in 1901 (according to the census) to live with a Mary Matthews. It seems that the area has been redeveloped, would anyone have any idea what type of housing was present there in 1901? Many thanks!!!!
  3. M

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Thank you so much Mikejee for your immediate and fascinating information. I never knew that the temperance society were active and able to influence the local authorities to close pubs! Much appreciated, Mark
  4. M

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Would anyone have information about a pub called the "Malt Shovel Inn" 14 Sun Street. In 1901 the Landlord was Tom C Matthews. Many thanks
  5. M

The Beeches Kings Norton Moseley

Thanks and well understood, much appreciated.
  6. M

Wonderful photo, thanks so much. The entrance pillars were supposed to have two lions on them, great we can at least see the pillars clearly!
  7. M

Dear Pedrocut, may I ask if on your copy of the sale announcement of 1900, can you discern the date for the 99 year lease of 179 Belgrave Street starts? 1863? And on the 1869 trade directory pjmburns Kindly supplied, that lists 36 & 38 Belgrade street for James Law. Also, for Ancestor Rd, can...
  8. M

I am so sorry everyone - I have been distracted from this for the last month. Now checking in and I'm so amazed with all of the information. Thank you all so much. "pkmburns"many thanks and this James Law is the son of James Law senior, a Steel toy maker who lived on Cheapside. "Pedrocut" many...
  9. M

Thanks again and I found in the attached 1871 census, James Law and family are residents of "Belgrave St." Does this still exist?
  10. M

Many thanks and I also checked Google earth and it seems from the map mikejee kindly sent that the property marked in red and the very long garden behind it (which I presume allowed space for the stables) matches the shape of the garden behind the house you kindly sent the frontage of. Seems the...
  11. M

Thanks so much. We did visit in the 1970's (I was a child then) and I do recall the driveway and two small statues at either end of the driveway, so hopefully someone has a picture. Much appreciated, Mark
  12. M

Sorry, it was my great, great grandfather James Law who purchased the house. He moved from Cheapside where he and the family lived we believe in the factory premises that he owned. The factory was producing steel toys. We have no idea the name of the company, if anyone may have any idea about...
  13. M

Dear Master Barmmie, this is fantastic information and aligns with when my great grandfather bought the house and as he passed away in 1899, the family selling the house. Would you know if there are any pictures of the house. Thank you again! Mark
  14. M

Dear Mikejee, thank you very much for this information. We thought the house was on the corner with Trafalgar Road. By chance would there be any record of when the house was demolished? My parents tell me we visited the house in the 1970's but unfortunately we didn't take any photographs. Thank...
  15. M

Hello everyone, thanks for the wonderful information provided by so many on the amazing history of Birmingham. My Great Grandmother was brought up in a house in Mosley, Kings Norton called "The Beeches", it was in Alcester Road. If anyone has any information on this location, to would be very...
Back