• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. G

email address warning

When we sign up for an internet service provider (ISP) there is a great temptation to use and email address provided by that ISP. So, for example, if you are using say TalkTalk for your internet you may be tempted to create an email address of rogermoore at talktalk.com (if that is your name!)...
  2. G

City Centre developments 2020 - overview

The Digbeth area will undergo major changes in the next 10 or 20 years, and this recently announced Upper Trinity scheme is just another on top of what has already been announced. As I have said before, Birmingham council have made it their aim to "push" the city centre out to the "outer" ring...
  3. G

Dodgy adverts on this site

I did complain a few months ago about one of the "dodgy" adverts on this site, but was told by Admin the adverts are provided by Google so they have no control over them. But lately I have seen the two adverts below on this site (I have also seen them on other web sites), and I want to warn...
  4. G

Convention Centre & Broad Street - historic photos

In the early 1980s Birmingham council began to clear the area around Broad Street to build the International Convention Centre (ICC), the National Indoor Arena (NIA), and Brindley Place, as well as many apartments. I went up there with my trusty camera (pre-digital of course) to try and capture...
  5. G

Ransomware - very nasty

Some of you may have seen on the news today (9th April 2019) a UK man put in prison for 6 years for blackmailing people using Ransomware attacks on their computer. Ransomware attacks are very nasty but there are things you can do to protect yourself from them. What is Ransomware? - Ransomware...
  6. G

Road Name Changes

While I was walking round the Paradise site over the weekend I saw some council signs stuck on lamp posts giving details of some road name changes in the area. Could not take a photo of it as it was wrapped round a lamp post so almost impossible to read let alone photograph. But I have put...
  7. G

Fascinating City Centre Photo - July 1963

Found this fascinating photo on the internet. It says it was July 1963 It obviously features the old Bull Ring in the centre. Just to the right of it is the old market hall (with no roof) that I believe was bombed in WW2. This had been demolished before I moved to Birmingham. To the right of...
  8. G

Eastside Map - Historic

Posting this again as I realised I posed it in the wrong topic first time. Around the HS2 site in Park St they have now erected large fencing as they are having an archaeology dig, then preparing the site for the station build. Fixed to these hoardings are number of images, including this map...
  9. G

Leopold Street

Around the HS2 site in Park St they have now erected large fencing as they are having an archaeology dig, then preparing the site for the station build. Fixed to these hoardings are number of images, including this map below which I found very interesting (I have shown the modern equivalent...
  10. G

Amazing Book By William Haywood

I am not sure if this has been posted before so apologies if it has. While searching the internet I found this amazing book by William Haywood (architect) on his ideas for Birmingham called "The Development of Birmingham". Published 1918. Just click on the page to step through the book page...
  11. G

Films From The 50s And 60s?

I was searching on Sky today to find a certain film and I found it on a TV channel called Talking Pictures which I had never heard of. Took me a while to find it on the Sky planner but in the end found it in the Movie section, right at the end, on Chanel 343. Not sure if it is on any other TV...
  12. G

The Shadows

Found a Shadows CD I had not heard for ages and stuck it on. These tunes do bring back memories for those of us of a certain age. Start with Man of Mystery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjoi_0YhGA
  13. G

Useful Advice - Make a Windows System Image

Following on from my "Make a Windows System Repair Disc" topic I created earlier, this tells you how to create a Windows System Image. If you have Windows 7 (not sure about Vista) you can create a system image of your hard disk which will allow you to "reinstall" Windows very quickly if...
  14. G

Useful Advice - Make a Windows System Repair Disc

If you have Windows 7 (and I believe also Windows Vista) you can easily make something called a Windows System Repair Disc. This disc may be useful if ever Windows fails to start and you want to try to fix it. The disk is easy to create and anyone can do it. In Windows 7 click on the "circle"...
  15. G

Birmingham's Image And Status

Edit. Many post on this thread were transferred from the "Metro Work Begins" thread.
  16. G

Unused railway "arm" in Digbeth.

I was walking down Fazeley St in Digbeth a few weeks ago and you walk under a disused railway "arm" that comes out of the line that goes into Moor St station. It crosses Allcock St and Liverpool St then goes over the canal, then just ends. This is it here...
  17. G

Map of central Birmingham from 1932

While hunting round the web I found this map of Birmingham from 1932. It may not be new to some of you, but thought it worth posting for those that may not have seen it. Pre ring-road of course so quite interesting to see where the old roads went. I also notice there was a huge rail goods...
  18. G

Birmingham 1945 now on Google Earth

Google Earth has now added a 1945 aerial view of Birmingham (not sure when it was done but I have only just got to hear about it). If you have never used Google Earth before: Download Google Earth and install it. https://earth.google.co.uk/ Open Google Earth and type "Birmingham" in the...
  19. G

Birmingham 1945 now on Google Earth

Google Earth has now added a 1945 aerial view of Birmingham (not sure when it was done but I have only just got th hear about it). If you have never used Google Earth before: Download Google Earth and install it. https://earth.google.co.uk/ Open Google Earth and type "Birmingham" in the...
  20. G

Metalwork & glass for Crystal Palace HydePark

Birmingham made ALL the metal structure and ALL the glass for the Great Exhibition building in Hyde Park in 1851 (the building became known as Crystal Palace)
Back