• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

its mikejees birthday

Happy Birthday!!
  2. M

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

How about these from the Critch Tramway Museum website - car 395 arriving at its new home in Newhall St in 1957:- And enjoying some visitors in 1961:-
  3. M

Donations

Donation made by bank transfer
  4. M

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Again courtesy of Aerofilms this is the the main gate in 1930:- As you can see an additional building (like a small house) then was in the main gate. The canteen block on the left had different levels of dining room including one with silver service for executives! The steps on the left were in...
  5. M

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

The end building with the gable roof is where in latter years you could have a set of brand new "test tyres" fitted to your car - all you had to do was log your mileage on a regular basis. A nice "staff perk"!
  6. M

It's Lyn's (Astoness) birthday

Happy Birthday Lyn!!!
  7. M

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Here is an Aerofilms view of Fort Dunlop in 1937 - the "Fort" building is on the right and the Commercial Offices building is on the left:-
  8. M

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

For info - the pictures above are not of the extant Fort Dunlop building by the M6, but of the commercial office block at the top end of the site, which housed the mainframe computer, buying department, etc. This was demolished not long after these photos were taken - I can remember one...
  9. M

W & T Avery Roll of Honour?

They have all kinds of just about everything there, including lots of stuff stored in crates and on high shelves - 800000 objects in total. Best to phone I reckon. Open day is well worth a visit if you have never been there - take your camera!!
  10. M

W & T Avery Roll of Honour?

For info - open days are free but tickets MUST be booked in advance online as they have visitor number limits
  11. M

help needed please

BUT - it took 2 attempts to post the above message - never seen that before.........
  12. M

help needed please

I have logged in ok this morning. I get this annoying message about once a week. I did not log in over the weekend.
  13. M

Crossroads programme

I believe this is the only full edition (out of over 2000) of Lunchbox that still exists:-
  14. M

Cradley Heath Railway Station

Hi Lyn; Someone once told me that the station was dismantled and moved to storage at the Black Country Museum for possible reassembly later. I have no idea if this was true - does anyone know?
  15. M

The old station is no longer needed:- Finally - 2 colour shots of the signal box:- And one of the road outside the station - note the Vine and Railway pub is now closed:-
  16. M

Soon however the new station took over:- New level crossing barriers are now installed:- And a new footbridge to replace the old one:- The old station is now nearing its end:-
  17. M

As ever on these old stations, there were plenty of old artifacts around if you went looking for them:-
  18. M

The station was (and still is) very busy:-
  19. M

The station signal box also controlled the level crossing:-
  20. M

In the booking office it did get a bit more interesting:- There was a special excursion running to Torquay however:- And as far as the old station building is concerned - the writing is literally on the wall (well the door...) Not surprised when you see the state of the waiting room.....
Back