• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. EmmaLL

Hare & Hounds Hagley Rd 1881

Hi, wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction for images of The Hare and Hounds Pub Hagley rd? Just looking into my family tree and I can see relatives were living there in 1881 according to the census.
  2. EmmaLL

The Kingstanding

We must be neighbours. I live not far from the Golden Hind. Just this minute got back from FarmFoods in the precinct stocking up on cat food. Kingstanding really is going to rack and ruin, those that take pride in their homes risk crime, vandalism and theft. If its not parts off your car in...
  3. EmmaLL

Pet Fostering

Awww So sorry for your loss. He looks like he was very happy and content and sounds like he was so well taken care of. I'm a cat lover myself. Times are tough atm but I do recommend The Kitty cafe in grand central for a feline fix. Fostering animals must be so rewarding, and such a lovely...
  4. EmmaLL

Park Lane...Aston

Yes MichaelW he's a Fred Eplett, he had 3 wives and lots of children. His daughter Violet sang and danced but died young. Fred Epletts obituary says he went on a train journey shortly after she died and caught a chill. He died 3 weeks after his 'favourite daughter' Freds brother Charles for...
  5. EmmaLL

Park Lane...Aston

Her Madge will do. I've had such fun doing the family tree. Some family moved to Australia and I found a police record from one of them in the early 1900's claiming his bike had been stolen. My husbands family also had people who'd moved to Australia. There was a record of one of them being...
  6. EmmaLL

Park Lane...Aston

I've traced my Ingram tree back to royalty (Got to verify a few bits and bobs for be fully certain) I'll delve around now and PM you. Its odd, but on hubbys side There are styche, as you go further back they were stych, and and an unrelated ingram popped up amongst them too.
  7. EmmaLL

Introducing myself

Hello from a fellow newbe to this site. You've come to the right place to make connections to your past. Good Luck with your search. :)
  8. EmmaLL

Granddads 'Memoirs'

Thanks all. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this thread. I live close by to the places my granddad mentioned myself and have enjoyed many a breakfast in The Parson and Clark. There is still a Hardware shop (Imperial Hardware) on the Kingstanding rd, part of 'The Hawthorn' and I wonder if its...
  9. EmmaLL

Granddads 'Memoirs'

There were many factories in the Kingstanding area. Kynock (lMl) Higs Motors, GEC, Twiggs to name just a few. There were many small manufacturing engineers etc too. During the war houses that were part finished before the war (by the trees pub) were quickly finished and for reacquisition...
  10. EmmaLL

Granddads 'Memoirs'

My older brother Stanley was soon volunteeriing to join the army. He has married At 17 and possibly couldn't cope with the responsibility. He was later taken prisoner by the Germans and managed to escape and make his way to Switzerland where he enjoyed-yes enjoyed (for they were neutral) the...
  11. EmmaLL

Granddads 'Memoirs'

However a boy with holes in the arse of his trousers and cardboard in his pumps was not expected to do well. I recall in one instance being asked 'who I was copying off' and being detained to re-sit an exam. I scored even higher for the re-sit, they couldn't believe it even then! ln my Latter...
  12. EmmaLL

Granddads 'Memoirs'

In the mid 90's. My grandad started jotting down his (what we all jokingly called) Memoirs. Sadly he passed away suddenly so only scratched the surface. They were packed away as my Nan found them upsetting and after she passed we found them. I deciphered his squiggly handwriting and typed...
  13. EmmaLL

Biography

Thanks for that! I've bought it. Now its finding the time to read it. At least its on my phone and not on the teetering pile on my bedside table!
Back