• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Solihull54

Edgbaston College Bristol Road

Thanks for update and photos. My aunt was Freda Millicent Dry, she lived with my dad and his family at 9a Park Hill, Moseley but much later, she was at school there about 1933 to 1938 I think. I got confused between Edgbaston College and Edgbaston School for Girls. Glad to know about old girls...
  2. Solihull54

Memories : Tribute to old Birmingham

Agree with much said, I was a young trainee at Times Furnishing opposite the rotunda in 1972, very different times, on starting I was told to call the General Manager 'Sir', and remember customers coming in for Bits and bobs. Mind it was only a stroll to the nearby pubs which as an 18yo was...
  3. Solihull54

Lucas Mere Green

If you mean Etta McKenzie-Campbell she was the site buyer when I worked at Mere Green in 1987, she had office in the main Engineering dept, i moved to College Road later then other places but yes LMG was a good place to work...if you didnt upset Alec McDonald the Operations Manager that is...
  4. Solihull54

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

Talking of old Birmingham schools and awards I have a copy of Historical Studies by John Richard Green dated 1903 (Macmillan) presented to my grandmother Dorothy Jefferies in 1906 for 1st prize in History in VI form at Waverley Road Secondary School with HG Drew as Headmaster. I'm not sure...
  5. Solihull54

Lucas products and services

Indeed it does...I remember the old Lucas alternator factory at Marshall Lake Road and the Lucas lighting factory was at Walkmill lane Cannock. I think Shaftmoor Lane also made these, too many to research if you think Lucas Industries grew to encompass everything automotive and aerospace over...
  6. Solihull54

Lucas Mere Green

I thought it was Tesco but your right it was a supermarket of sorts I heard...
  7. Solihull54

Lucas Mere Green

electronic engine control units for lighting, thick film, various really, it was really a daughter plant to the mother plant at College Road, much smaller than CR, i think its a tesco supermarket these days as Lucas was sold to Varity, then it became TRW, then ZF bought it all out. Sad another...
  8. Solihull54

Lucas Mere Green

Lucas made electronic assemblies for the car industry, customers were Rover Group and others, the Chief Engineer was John Lewis, and the General Manager was Alex McDonald. I worked there for a while in purchasing around 1988 with Etta Campbell, the site buyer.
  9. Solihull54

Lucas Labs Research & Development

I left ZF as it was after the TRW takeover in 2015 having worked there since 2010. I heard the ZF technical centre as it now is will move to Blythe Business Centre. Pale shadow of Lucas days since I joined the company at Shaftmoor Lane in 1985. Thats progress folks !!
Back