• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. C

Prefabs

My Aunt and Uncle lived in one which was demolished in the 1970s (I think) due to the asbestos used in their construction. They were really sad as they loved this little home, but health comes first. The lived at the bottom of Shard End/Tile Cross.
  2. C

Midland Educational

Yes the Midland Education was by the Oasis market and was one of my favorite stores as a girl (I love books!). It was a real treat as we would visit only occasionally for something special I had been wanting. Wonderful :)
  3. C

Longmeadow Girls School Shard End

I lived in Hurst Lane North, Castle Bromwich in the 1960's. I didn't attend Longmeadow but I remember it well :)
  4. C

Hop picking

I was telling my Mom today about your post and funnily enough she mentioned Reg and wondered if you were related to the lady who he was friends with. Unfortunately, she couldn't remember her name of the top of her head (she's 83 now!). I do have a couple of photos - is it ok to post them here or...
  5. C

Birmingham Pin Makers

Oh my, I wonder how long it would take to make 1000...all for 3d! Thank you for the info.
  6. C

Birmingham Pin Makers

Thank you so much for the information and the warm welcome! I will certainly check out all the other info on the website as well as Fattorini's.
  7. C

Hop picking

Thankyou for the interesting link. I have posted some of my families memories down below in replies if you are interested. I replied to these before I looked at the link but if there is anything you are interested in just email me and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.
  8. C

Hop picking

That's where my Nan and monther were. Mr Pullen would send rabbits to my Mom for her birthday every year!! They were the Summerills! In fact, my father's family evacuated to Martley during the blitz and this is where they met! What a small world. My other Grandmother is buried at Martley Church...
  9. C

Hop picking

From what my Nan and Mom have told me, they were one of the lucky families as the farmer would allow them to live in the garage for the season instead of the barn with all the other families. I think, probably, it was because they consisted of all girls/women. They would clean it, put curtains...
  10. C

Birmingham Pin Makers

I am researching my family and I it has come to light that many were pin makers. They lived in Ladywood in the first quarter of the 20th century and I take it that they made badges. Could anyone tell me if this is correct and would this be a part of the jewellery quarter trades? I would be...
  11. C

Hop picking

Hi All, When my grandmother was alive she would often tell me of the times that she and her family (which included my mother) would go hop-picking in September to make a bit of money. I would like to research agricultural seasonal workers from Birmingham and was wondering if anyone knew where I...
Back