• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

White Lion Portway

Hi Nik, Thank you for your message, I have a photo just the same as that but in black and white. It was taken in 1959 by my wife's relative Alice Whitehouse, who was born there in 1881 as her father, John Whitehouse (My wife's great grandfather) was the landlord at that time, he also had a small...
  2. B

White Lion Portway

Thank you Mikejee for taking the time to reply to my query, but unfortunately that photo is not The White Lion Portway. The White Lion Portway stood in its own grounds surrounded by fields, it was about 5 miles from Redditch on the old Alcester Road. But again thank for your trouble.
  3. B

White Lion Portway

My wife's great grandfather, John Whitehouse, kept The White Lion Portway in 1881, when it was also a farm. He gave evidence against Moses Shrimpton the poacher who killed the policeman in Weatheroak in 1885, Moses was a frequent drinker in there. In 1977 my wife and I bought a house at Portway...
  4. B

Marson Families

Sorry I don't understand this message. My inquiry about the Marson family has always been on Surname site, or, am I miss reading this message? Perhaps you could explain please, Thank you anyway.
  5. B

WHITEHOUSE FAMILY SWAN VILLAGE.

Thanks for your reply, but Thomas died 1870-80s. but thank you for your interest.
  6. B

WHITEHOUSE FAMILY SWAN VILLAGE.

Can anyone help with advice please, on where I can find who owned house's in Swan Village, West Bromwhich circa 1870-80s. I have a will in 1883 of Joseph Whitehouse born 1813, who said he was left a share of house's and land property in the will or codicil of his deceased uncle, Thomas...
  7. B

Marson Families

Hi JDT55, Sorry, I think I replied in the wrong place earlier. Thank you for your reply. I have been tracing my Marson family tree for close on 30 years. I have a few Charles Marson's on my tree but the only one born near 1897 is a William Charles born 1896. My grandfather was a Richard Marson...
  8. B

Hardware Family from Birmingham, Warwickshire

Is Emma Maria Hardware born 1885 & married William Henry Marson in 1904 any relation to you?
  9. B

whitehouse family

There was a book written by I think, the Wythall History Society, it was speaking to them that I found out about the story. Idid phone the Police museum in Sparkhill some years ago and they did know about the story. Thank you for your interest.
  10. B

whitehouse family

I lived on the Alcester Road almost opposite The White Lion before it was demolished. When my wife's grandfather, Harvey Rundell Whitehouse came to stay with us, he told us he was born in The White Lion when his father John Whitehouse was the landlord. His sisters are listed on the 1881 census...
  11. B

whitehouse family

John Whitehouse, & family landlord of The White Lion Pub, Portway, Alcester Road, 1881 I have the censuses up to 1911. Any information welcome
  12. B

WalterThompson; Dance Band

Hello Hazel. There was a Walter Thompson who played in The Carlton Dance Orchestra, my relative, Richard Marson, was the vocalist in the 1950/60s. Only thing is, I am sure Walter played the drums? Walter was Richard Marson's nephew.
  13. B

Fishers of Ivy Lane,

Thank you MWS for that very useful Idea about Edwin Foyle. It gives me another avenue to research. Once again thank you for your time and trouble with your reply.
  14. B

Fishers of Ivy Lane,

Thank you so much for your reply with that information. Are you related in any way to the Fishers? I had got most of what you gave me, but I could not find the birth's registered for Susannah Maria Chapman or her sister Clara Maria Chapman on the GRO Index. According to the 1901 census Susannah...
Back