• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. E

Final plans and demolision of the crocodile works alma street

Thank you very much for these photos and time and trouble you have taken - much appreciated.
  2. E

Are these pictures accessible?
  3. E

Porchester Street

yes thanks for that - I just coudn't read it.
  4. E

National Fire Service Ww2

Hello Radiorails, would you know anything about members of the army seconded to Birmingham Fire Service in WW1? The person I am thinking of served 6 Oct 197 to 13 Jan 1918, presumably was in digs for that time?
  5. E

Porchester Street

Hello again Mikejee, referring to this map could you tell me what is written on the building at the far right bottom of the map junction Porchester Street and Summer Lane, I cannot read the name and wonder if you can, looks like '? works'? thanks
  6. E

Evacuation Of Children World War 2

Thank you for that pedrocut! Very interesting, have spoken to my older brother and he says it was the coming of the V2s in late 1944 which prompted our evacuation to Moseley.
  7. E

Just found these posts, but I cannot access any of the photos....help.. edmc
  8. E

JONES AND WILLIS PORCHESTER STREET

Thanks - I have not seen this 2008 pic before. I am grateful to one of your members who posted a 1950 map of Porchester Street which I will attach, and it shows Crocodile works and along side it the Jones and Willis Works which reached right down to the end of Porchester St. Do you think it...
  9. E

Thank s for this very informative response to my question! You are right my family was evacuated in Sept 1944 to Moseley, to the large house of a Mrs Reardon, which backed onto the Birmingham to London railway line. There was a zoo or city farm nearby. My mother wanted to keep the family...
  10. E

I have just looked at the Bomb map for New Malden Surrey 7 Oct 1940 to 6 June 1941 and the area in the immediate vicinity of my road was hit 11 times by High Explosive bombs. My family evacuated to Birmingham in 1944 when the V1 and V2 started to arrive.
  11. E

Thanks for adding that-really very interesting! One of my questions was what happened to the original building in Porchester Street after Jones and Willis left in about 1940. Do you know when the 'new' buildings were built?
  12. E

Fascinating! Thanks for that.
  13. E

Chris could you explain something to me? My family lived in New Malden Surrey, not so much a target for the Luftwaffe I would have thought, but the family including my mother, were evacuated to Birmingham! Moseley I think? I have never been able to understand the logic in that. Could you...
  14. E

Hello - one further question that someone may be able to help me with...The newly developed Porchester Street has a building with an old looking frontage which looks remarkably like the original building. Would anyone know if this is the case? I attach a photo of the 'new' frontage and the...
  15. E

Temple Row

Could anyone tell me when the original houses in Temple Row were demolished? I have reference to 14,15,and Temple Row House in 1900 but nothing after that. Any ideas? Any photos of that time of course would be like gold dust....
  16. E

Porchester Street

17. E

A Jones

sarunte43, post: 491656, member: 7736"] Hello just seen your post. The Jones you speak of is not the Jones of Jones and Willis. Interesting though that he is involved in metalwork which is something Jones and Willis were involved in from 1840s to 1940s. J&W were a HUGE company of Church...
  18. E

Porchester Street

"mikejee, post: 666962, member: 3395"] Dear mikejee, thank you very much for posting this map - it has answered all my questions about Jones and Willis, as I can see where they were - a little way down Porchester Street at the bottom of the map on the right I can just make out 'Church...
  19. E

Porchester Street

Hello again, I have just seen on this site a map of Porchester Street, and can now see where this demolition was, and the houses which were demolished. I am trying to find out about a company called Jones and WIllis who I thought were in Porchester Street from about 1900 and I want to know when...
  20. E

Porchester Street

="mikejee, post: 666962, member: 3395"] Hello, I am very interested in this map of Porchester Street, any idea of the date? Do you happen to know about a company called Jones and Willis who I believe were there from 1900? I notice a Joinery Works in the street and wonder if this could be it?
Back