• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. mrpastry

Soho Hill

Hi phil Thats it Regards Rich keep smiling
  2. mrpastry

Soho Hill

Hi Katie . Cheffins was 129 Soho Hill ... Btw Soho Ave & St Michaels Rd ... premises are still standing but look a little tired now ... also it was approx; 30yrd away from the milestone that has been the subject of several messages as to its present location. Regard Rich ... Keep smiling
  3. mrpastry

Soho Hill

Hi All ... This milestone was at Milestone Lane near to the Post Office on Holyhead Road remember sitting on it and eating my chips when returning hom fro the cubs at St James School Rich Keep Smiling
  4. mrpastry

Soho Hill

Hi Katie . My cousin was the housekeeper for Cheffins .. when the wife was expecting our daughter(48yr ago) she had the problem of some of her teeth crumbling and Cheffin took ALL her teeth out and told her that that would save your husband some money ... I was not aware of this at the time...
  5. mrpastry

Pubs Of The Past

Hi Dek. Not an electrician ... plumbers mate/Electro Plating Jig maker ... Bus Conductor/Driver(8yrs) ... Policeman (30yrs) ... Regards Rich Keep smiling
  6. mrpastry

Pubs Of The Past

Hi Deb . What was your grandparents surnames ? Looks like your Uncle and I may know each other as we are about the same age I am 71 (really on 21lol) Regards Rich Keep Smiling
  7. mrpastry

Pubs Of The Past

Hi Deb. Had few cool pints of Davenports bitter with my dad in the bar ... cannot remember the licencee that was there when dad worked there what i do remember is that he died whilst on holiday in Spain ( in the late 60's or earlt 70's) and the kerffule in getting him back to the UK ... in fact...
  8. mrpastry

Pubs Of The Past

Hi. The Garden Gate Hamstead Opened in 1961 and the licensee was a ex marine named Robert (Bob) Ford his father was Ernie Ford who was one of the "Old Un's" who educated me in partaking of the amber ale in together with playing 5's & 3's in the bar of the Oakfield Tavern .... Happy...
  9. mrpastry

Pubs Of The Past

Hi Carolina . The "Gate" I am referring to is the Old Gate Inn Which was a Davenports House in Booth St. The "Gate" in Hamstead is the Garden Gate and if my memory serves me right the 1st licensee was named Ford (cannot remember his 1st name ... a cousin of my worked there for a short time in...
  10. mrpastry

Pubs Of The Past

Hi djf You are right about the bowling green .. My father worked as a barman (part time) during the 60's & early 70's ..Thanks for the reply looking forward to any pic's you may have. All the best Rich Keep smiling !
  11. mrpastry

Soho Road, Handsworth 1956 to 1964 opposite the Libary

Hi Rick .. sorry about the spelling always thought the name was Spearway .. He was not our family Dr. so I never knew him .. ours was Dr.Lyons in Sandwell Rd ... I doubt you would remember him .. I remember the house thought passed it many times ... Looked at the pictures and they do bring...
  12. mrpastry

Pubs Of The Past

Hi John Found the Marshall Foch LH 184 Corporation Street Licensee Charles Whittle in the 1921 Kellys Hope This helps Regards rich Keep Smiling
  13. mrpastry

Rookery Road School Handsworth

hi Alan ... Get your pins ready ! It only transferred a small image so its not big enough to stick on a dart board.Keep smiling . Rich
  14. mrpastry

Alan . Go to Friends Reunited put Icknield Street School in the search bar and his picture is there. Keep Smiling . Rich
  15. mrpastry

Mr Kitchen was our maths teacher ... and if my memories correct I think he was the Deputy Head when I was there 53/57... we would distract him by asking him about his collection of Stick Insects which adorned the window sills around his class room ... He later went on to be the Headteacher at...
  16. mrpastry

Mr Wickstead , was my final year teacher in 1956/7 we were in the prefab class room opposite the Science /Woodwork building . We had a Art Teacher named Mr Stevens/Stevenson ? who was a really nice teacher although he was very soft spoken and we had a small group of pupils in the class who gave...
  17. mrpastry

Soho Road Handsworth

Hi David , Have a look at this site www.old-maps.co.uk it will give you a range of maps to view for free. Keep smiling .Regards Rich
  18. mrpastry

Soho Road Handsworth

Hi Vivenne14 You are right it was The Frighted Horse LH if you look close at the old picture you can just make out that it was a M&B (Mitchell & Butlers) pub .Rich Keep smiling
  19. mrpastry

Soho Road Handsworth

Hi Reg Your welcome the MACE site is full of clips of Birmingham and the Midlands in general . Keep Smiling .Regards Rich
  20. mrpastry

Soho Road Handsworth

Hi negaudet Know its been some time since you entered this query have just found this site www.macearchive.org put Handsworth West Midlands in the search bars make sure you tick the video only box and you will find a video clip about Belgrave Terrace that was done in 1978 by the then ATV...
Back