• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. T

Birmingham Training college - Bristol Road, Westbourne Road

Just a nice little memory prompted by this thread ... Up to the age of 11 I was at St. Peter's School, Harborne, before going on to Lordswood in 1959 after the 11+. Some time in what I believe was its last year - Sept '58 to July '59 - my class was taken to the Teachers Training College in...
  2. T

Doctors

Are there any past Harborne-ites reading? Maybe you went to Dr. McCook? In the '50s when I was just single-figures old our Dr. was the very pleasant Dora K. McCook with a soft Scottish burr in her voice. Her surgery was on High Street around a dozen properties down from the Post Office, in the...
  3. T

Me Dads old sayings

OMG - imagine having first dibs on a Grand Piano!! I'd have changed career just for that! Still waiting ... maybe one day, lol.
  4. T

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

Thanks for dating the Gym mural .. so, still well after my time. Interesting to note that there was an early 2000s BBC progrmme about the school ... must take a shot at uncovering it!
  5. T

Groups We Have Seen Live

Way too many to list, and half probably forgotten across the decades anyway lol, but richardinwales's mention of Elkie Brooks instantly reminded me of being in Brighton on business overnight in '77/8, and after tea at the hotel I went off for a wander around for a while. The hotel was on the...
  6. T

Chamberlain & Hookhams

Thank you RobT for making the correction. I had copy/pasted the link, though clearly overshooting the end and incorporating a word of from the adjoining text unnoticed which broke the link. Not so much copy/paste as copy/haste *blush*
  7. T

Chamberlain & Hookhams

In case you haven't come across it, there's another C&H thread at https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/chamberlin-chamberlain-hookham.22020/which has further photos and information that perhaps may interest you? ... TQ
  8. T

Fleur-de-Lys pies

I have just stumbled in to one of the earlier pages in this thread, which was an offered link in a search for something else so I was quite surprised when the target turned out to be about pies! And then I actually read a little more just out of curiosity, came across the fact of it being about...
  9. T

Total time-warp photos, and thanks for adding them. It would be great to have other decent interior shots of the Old LTS too if any are around, but I have noticed v few. If these were all taken around the same time, as they look to be, then I can only add that they are from after 1965 because...
  10. T

He could? Oh, okay, I wasn't aware of that. All the same I do remember a number of other members of staff whose raised voices were unmissable at times from just walking the nearby corridors. Messrs George (metalwork) McCarthy (Biology) and Long (German) just came to mind with their distinctive...
  11. T

I'm not sure where he set out from, but yes it could well have been there as once or twice he would go whizzing past one of my bus stops in the Ford Pop that he'd use sometimes, which was on a route that had come from that way. A couple of times that I went that way (I could choose from 3 routes...
  12. T

Another Hepworths connection ... I went in to their New St branch right by The Odeon one time in probably '65/6 and found Roger Franks in full Mens Outfitter Salesman mode :) We had a few words of course though I didn't go on to buy anything I think, and as we hadn't moved in the same LTS...
  13. T

I remember there was a Graham Halford somewhere in my year in around '62/3 .. no recollection of the name before then so maybe had just moved from somewhere? Purely speculative. I also remember noticing him one Saturday behind the counter at a butcher's stall in the Bull Ring indoor market...
  14. T

How interesting - and nice - that a random brief remark can instantly revive long-dormant memories and details! The second that I read that comment, Penns, I was back in the North playground as Mr. Kindon was driving his car out from where it was parked by the Craft Block, back down the narrow...
  15. T

Onion Fair

As you pass through life, one thing that is always with you is a little book of memories that seems to be in a pocket somwhere regardless. It is meant for more-special memories, can be fleeting moments or a big occasion, but what is interesting it that they always just appear in it for you by...
  16. T

Help to ID the location of a photo of Prince George Inn

Hi If you click on the blue link in the post from from Astoness, where it says "Explore georeferenced maps - Map images - National Library of Scotland," a map will open up showing the area in which you are interested. In the bottom-left corner is a white square headed "Choose an historic map...
  17. T

What / Where (group picture)

Whilst the ".. ANN" can readily be interpreted as a portion of a local sign/post directing toward the Botanical Gardens (my most favouite place to be taken as a young child, enjoying visits there as often as possible!) it would seem to be a wrong direction (sorry) to follow as "Botanical" is...
  18. T

info on Barbarella's and Peppermint Place nightclubs

Staring at that 2-months lineup totally and absolutely open-mouthed! I mean, Queen but not yet Bohemian Rhapsody. Wow, just .... WOW! Plus, from this day forth Iggy will always be Giggy to me :)
  19. T

The Iron Man- What happened to it?

Morturn - Thank you for answering my question so wonderfully! Although it is not the answer I would have wished to have, if asking the question led to your visit at that particular moment, and to choosing that particular spot and arriving at that particular composition, and to those things and...
  20. T

The Iron Man- What happened to it?

Could someone who might be passing by the newly reinstalled Iron Man please take a look and tell me something, as I'm no longer local? I had never previously walked past him without feeling sadness at his restrained feet in their deeper prison, there shackled to a buried plinth and encased up...
Back