• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. J

Birmingham Irish

I grew up in the 60/70s in an Irish family. We lived in Sparkbook, Garrison Lane and Bordesley Green/Small Heath border. Nearly every one of my mates was from an Irish or West Indian family. I only realised decades later, that we never really mixed with kids from English families. Unconscious...
  2. J

Brickworks

There was a brickworks in the area now occupied by camberbest building products is now, just off garrison lane.
  3. J

handsworth wood girls school Mrs Hinchcliffe

It may be a coincidence but Tilton Road Headmaster in 1969 was Mr Hinchcliffe. Could be his wife What years was this lady the headteacher at Handsworth Grammar School?
  4. J

The Griffin Inn

Those tables may have been from Shawbury School. which was demolished in the early 1980s The School had its own laundry and a sewing machine shop where they altered and repaired the boys uniforms.
  5. J

The Griffin Inn

I know this is a very old post but I remember Peter Griffin (Painting Department) and John Graves. I've attached a staff photo of them both.
  6. J

Pubs on the Coventry Road, Small Heath.

I'm not sure. I'd moved out by that time with the occasional visit back. I would say the 90s but it could have been 2000s. It closed down years before it was demolished. No trade.
  7. J

It was a pub that only really did any trade on match days. I grew up in Small Heath and was only in it once in the 80s. Small Heath was a great place to live in the 70s/80s.
  8. J

This was in the early 70s.
  9. J

The middle photo is Greenway. Is this the pub your grandfather ran?
  10. J

Jenkins Street School Small Heath

The main Holy Family School didn't have enough places to fill the demand for the number of Irish families in Small Heath. So in late 60s they used part of Waverley Road School (Byron Road). I went there in 1970 and shortly after the HF Annex moved to Jenkins Street. It was a prefab building...
  11. J

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

Did Derek and Caroline work at Tescos?
  12. J

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

Back