• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

BSA Factory 1940s Onwards

Forgive me for coming very late to this thread. My late dad, David Davies, was the apprentice school training manager before Bert Curry. Over tea at home when I was in my teens, we would hear about Joe Smith's latest exploit to wind him up. We were in stitches--although dad was not! In truth, I...
  2. D

George Dixons Grammar School

In one of those slack moments this afternoon, I checked my own journey to City Rd. 6 1/2 miles on the Outer Circle from Kings Heath. The fun discovery is that the school's postcode is aptly B16 9GD
  3. D

Thanks, Steve, for the correction. Those were good cross-country days. Just occasionally I meet someone who ran against GD at Lightwoods Park ... we knew the course, but if they didn't and got caught on that steep bank knew it spelt disaster.
  4. D

Thank you, David, for your reply. Yes, I recall Mr Bond, going to the cupboard, presenting the full exercise book and him giving you the new one together with the old one with half its back cover ripped off! He was smartly dressed, light grey suit. He did a year teaching in the USA and wrote a...
  5. D

Terry Giblin (still going strong 2022), Norris T Owen, Laurie Redding, John Rogers were ODs. As I understand Mr Long although RC was allied to the Republicans; and as far as I can discern, he was in the SOE in WW2 crossing to Normandy where his in-laws lived, and doing whatever he was called to...
  6. D

My apologies for coming to the thread so late. I recall a tampering with the piano so it sounded honky-tonk for the end of year service in July 1965; 'Lord Dismiss us with Thy Blessing' never sounded quite as good!) I was in the Lower 6th. Stink bombs were placed in the seating and burst when...
  7. D

Hi Bob, thank you for posting the pic. I was at GD '59-66, and I think the first sports day we didn't use other than the school playing fields was '66. I don't recognise anyone, but I hope you have success.
  8. D

I was at Five Ways '64-'66 (when it closed) and don't recall any dances there when I was in the Arts 6th. There was a dance at City Road ('64) with the Girls School and I think the Brum Beats played (their manager was--if I recall correctly--Mrs Regan whose son was in the year above me ('58-'65)...
  9. D

Thank you for letting me know, telling me is very much appreciated. I will let my brother know.
  10. D

Kings Heath in the 60s

Yes, Fr Robinson, he prepared me for confirmation in 1960; he was a very special man. Not physically a big man but could more than handle himself. He was a para in WW2 and one day two big fellas were having a scrap outside church. He went outside and 'sorted' them out. He retired to Worcester...
  11. D

Kings Heath in the 60s

Fabulous post, thank you! Lovely to see Fr Jim Eckersley, vicar of All Saints; it was he who welcomed me to the church in '59 as a result of which, many years later, I found my vocation and was ordained.
  12. D

Many thanks for the advice, appreciated; stay safe and well in these strange times.
  13. D

The 'Lord Dismiss us with Thy Blessing', last day of the academic year in '65 was hilarious. I can't recall the name of the woman teacher playing the piano and who I think taught French, but the horrified look on her face was all to behold. I was in the Lower 6th. The guys in the Upper 6th had...
  14. D

Just coming very late (by 12 years!) to your post. Is this you standing next to Mr Garden in the Rugby 1st XV? I think you will have been a contemporary of my brother, Richard Davies. Best wishes, DP (Peter) Davies.
  15. D

Hi Ken, Hi Ken, I remember you, we were in 3b to 5b together. (I was D P Davies [Peter]) Norris T Owen was our English Lang master who inspired you to such depth. Sadly, he left at the end of the Spring term in '64. He helped me greatly as I had been struggling and got me reading the editorials...
  16. D

Thank you for your post--it's good to hear these accounts, they are the life of who we have come to be. Yes, the Head Boy in your 1st year was Ray Wainwright. Ray joined GD in '58 and was the last boy to 'jump' the 5th form having achieved all he needed in 'O' Levels taken in the 4th year to go...
  17. D

Thank you, David, for telling your account, and well done for being Head Boy--I must have been doing 'O' Levels when you started at GD. From my year Trev Duschenes would have attended your Service.
  18. D

GD had a strong reputation in the B'ham Jewish community. I understand that it was the favoured school for boys who did not gain entry to KES. I think this was because there would be absolutely no toleration of anti-semitism.
  19. D

Yes, the Leader of the school orchestra was Mr Williams. He was a peripatetic violin teacher and an OD. I remember getting the No. 11 outside school and Mr Walker was sitting opposite on the bench seat near the exit. I remembered my manners, 'Good afternoon, Sir,' raised my cap and sat down for...
  20. D

For some ghastly reason I dreamt I was at Five Ways, again, last night--don't ask why. Mr Walker came to sort out a problem when I was in 3B ('61/'62). We returned from assembly to find WW waiting for us. Some boys had written an unpleasant and anonymous letter to one of the boys and the whole...
Back