• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. D

Bishop Vesey and his Grammar School.

Thanks Janice, good idea. I have since found that school uniforms were not in use till mid Victorian England, so maybe BVGS didn't have one c1863.
  2. D

I notice Josiah Wright was headmaster about the time Walter Withers walked out of school. Any clues as to his identity and character? With thanks
  3. D

I am writing a family history of Walter Withers 1854-1914 (other posts). He mirgrated from England c1882 to Australia where took to landscape painting, being part of a group known as the Heidelberg School. He attended, I believe, Bishop Vesey's School c1860s. The family story has it that he...
  4. D

I am writing a family history of Walter Withers 1854-1914 (other posts). He mirgrated from England c1882 to Australia where took to landscape painting, being part of a group known as the Heidelberg School. He attended, I believe, Bishop Vesey's School c1860s. The family story has it that he...
  5. D

WILLIAM WELCH PUBLICAN

Hi Mikejee, thanks for this sorry tale. Would you mind inserting the original letter re 'Flash Houses' please? I wonder if the author of the first letter was envious and wanting the Inn for himself? David
  6. D

WILLIAM WELCH PUBLICAN

Oh you wonderful people. Very grateful to you. Clarified a lot. I see William did become a publican again at the Red Lion in 2 Bull Ring, but in between times rose out of bankruptcy via Provisions Dealer (1851), refreshment house keeper (1859) at Dale End, a pastry cook in Lady Pool(?) Lane...
  7. D

WILLIAM WELCH PUBLICAN

Easy Row, City Pubs In 1837 Sarah Welch was a minor from Easy Row, Birmingham, "a publican's daughter." Her father, William Welch, was described as a Publican. Sarah married Edwin Withers, 5 Oct 1837, at St Thomas church, Birmingham. I cannot locate any pub in Easy Row earlier than the Woodman...
  8. D

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

I've checked online but so far have failed to find the full name for R.T. Bott. I assume, like everybody else, his parents blessed him real names and not just initials. Wondering if you might have any further info for him? Thanks again
  9. D

Sounds good enough for me!
  10. D

Hi Pedrocut, just checking why ‘Some tipsters have gone under the name “the Gleaner”?' Any source for that info, please? Cheers
  11. D

St Marys Church Handsworth

Edit ..............Trying to describe a Victorian wedding at St Mary's Handsworth on Tuesday 11 Oct 1887. I gather it would have been a cool day with indications of rain. But apart from that I have no mental image with which to describe for my readers in Australia, what the bridal party might...
  12. D

Pubs Of The Past

Cheers
  13. D

Pubs Of The Past

I see where Dale End was once in an older map. Anybody any idea about "Dale End Old Engine, 1865, published by Thomas Underwood." Which old engine is that and why is it there? Cheers
  14. D

Flynn George Frederick

Thanks very much everyone. Also pleased to see Soho Street, at one time was confused (again) what with Soho Road and Soho Hill. But thanks to your excellent detective work I am now satisfied in 1861 they lived at the one by Rose Hill, Piers Road & the railway line. pjmburns "modern map - red...
  15. D

Flynn George Frederick

Gayfield Tce, John's Street. I see on a modern 2020 google map that John street is not far from Villa Road. Does that mean Gayfield Terrace was the now named Lozells Wood Close? Cheers Daid
  16. D

Soho Road Handsworth

Very Grateful, Astoness. It's all starting to make sense now. Cheers:yum
  17. D

Soho Road Handsworth

So: To be clear:: Where does Soho Road begin and end; and where does Soho Hill begin and end? Modern maps are not much help to me at the moment. Cheers
  18. D

Soho Road Handsworth

Soho Hill; Number 182 befire all the warehouses moved in.
  19. D

Soho Road Handsworth

Would love to see a pic of Soho Hill Rd
  20. D

Soho Road Handsworth

Good to see. Which is that church in the background? If it is a church? David
Back