• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Barr_Beacon

Public Eye_1960s TV series

As a child in the '60s I remember watching this. It had a haunting theme music and for one series was set in Birmingham and starred Alfred Burke as the private detective, Frank Marker...
  2. Barr_Beacon

Great Charles Street Queensway car stunt

Any ideas if this was for a film or television show...
  3. Barr_Beacon

1987 Car Birmingham Journey

Apologies if this has been posted before.
  4. Barr_Beacon

WA Green Birmingham Born Artist

I came stumbled across WA Green purely by accident. He was a prolific artist, working mainly in pen and ink. He died in 1984 and his pen and ink drawings are of buildings and landscapes of Birmingham and the Midlands, his work was published in local newspapers and magazines. Here's the link to a...
  5. Barr_Beacon

The Times Furnishing Building, New Street.

My jaw dropped when I saw this photograph on 'The Old Pics of Brum' on Facebook. I've never seen it before and it's astonishing! It was taken during Birmingham's Wings for Victory Week 1943 (Photo: Brumpic on Twitter). Wings For Victory weeks were held across the country beginning in March 1943...
  6. Barr_Beacon

The Beatles At The Abc Studios In Aston Cross, Sunday 20th October 1963.

I have vague memories of this as my mother took me up Aston Road North to the ABC Studios hoping to see them... Holland Road outside the studios of ABC TV in Birmingham, Sunday, October 20, 1963.
  7. Barr_Beacon

Winson Green Prison Gates

Villiers Street Winson Green (1970s?)
  8. Barr_Beacon

Brookfields Tavern, Hingeston St, Winson Green

Apologies, no date.
  9. Barr_Beacon

The Jewellers Arms

This photograph was taken in 1947. Interesting to note that it was called Goldsmiths and Jewellers Arms at this time.
  10. Barr_Beacon

Wh Smith

Felt quite sad when I read this and I wonder if anyone can help with a query. I remember the WH Smith shop in Corporation Street beside Yates's Wine Lodge and had only just started using it when it closed down around September / October 1974 and opened it's 'new' shop in on the old Henry's site...
  11. Barr_Beacon

St Silas Square Lozells

I remember St Silas Square in May 1976 with the blossom trees in bloom, that still is in my memory after all these years.
  12. Barr_Beacon

Ford Meteor Garage Gloster Meteor Jet On Forecourt

Found this recently, it's dated August 1973, does anyone remember it?
  13. Barr_Beacon

Pollyanna's, Newhall Street

I used to go to Pollyanna's regularly from 1975, I think it was called Revolution before that (from what I can recall from the ads in The Birmingham Evening Mail at that time). I Stumbled across this advertisement the other day, it shares the same address as Pollyanna's. Was it a nightclub that...
  14. Barr_Beacon

Bbc 'gangsters' 1976

I couldn't find this on the site but I think it's worth a mention (apologies if it is listed elsewhere). For me the television drama works on many levels; it has an interesting storyline (feel free to disregard the music but I still quite like it) and it gives an amazing account of what...
  15. Barr_Beacon

Ansell's Brewery, 1950s

16. Barr_Beacon

The Gunmakers Arms, Bath Street

Date of photograph 13th June, 1960.
  17. Barr_Beacon

Kings Night Club Hamstead

Photograph dates from the 1970s / 1980s.
  18. Barr_Beacon

The Queen's Head, Erdington

Sorry, no date for the photograph but the pub didn't appear to change much up to when I lived in Erdington in the 1980s.
  19. Barr_Beacon

The Victoria, Inkerman St, Duddeston Mill

The orientation from the map is looking west up Duddeston Mill Road towards Duddeston Train Station, at a guess I would date it from the 1960s because of the tower block in the background.
  20. Barr_Beacon

The Sacks Of Potatoes, Gosta Green

The Sacks of Potatoes, Gosta Green (apologies for the error in the title).
Back