• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Barr_Beacon

Pubs And Clubs Of The 70s And 80s

If I remember correctly, Bogart's had a 'Bierkeller' in the basement (there was a small pool table room on the ground floor near the entrance). There was also a Mr Bill's Bierkeller in Needless Alley. The Parasol was a basement pub with the entrance on Hill Street. I liked The Parisian which had...
  2. Barr_Beacon

City Centre pubs

Nobody slams The Doors...:mad: ....I'll get my coat.
  3. Barr_Beacon

City Centre pubs

The West End Bar in Snow Hill was previously known as The Filibuster. I discovered this photograph of the entrance to the doorway of The Filibuster recently (don't know who the men are or what year it was taken). This is the only photo I have found of The Filibuster I have found.
  4. Barr_Beacon

Pubs in Aston

The Royal Exchange...
  5. Barr_Beacon

Aston Pictures

I've recently found this photograph of Allesley St and Bracebridge St at their junction with Aston Road. The photograph was taken from Dartmouth St. The decorating shop JC Bell & Co Ltd can be seen on the left with The White Hart pub on the right. I've no idea when the picture was taken but...
  6. Barr_Beacon

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Did you know, I did! My first memory of The Drakes Drum was around 1971. It had an enormous flaming torch emitting a large flame (didn't worry about gas prices then) in the evening. I attended night school classes across the road at Brooklyn Technical College and regularly popped in for a pint...
  7. Barr_Beacon

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

If I recall, Bogart's was shut down by a court order in May, 1981 (Sunday Mercury report). The reporter called it a 'Discotheque' and said it '...had been a magnet for disco enthusiasts'. Sad news about Wilko Johnson. Dr Feelgood played at Bogart's in September, 1974...
  8. Barr_Beacon

PELICAN PUB GT KING ST

Found this on Midlands Pubs, any use? https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/great-king-street/pelican-inn.htm
  9. Barr_Beacon

the aston hotel

I used to meet my dad for a pint here in the winter of 1973, this photo always brings back memories...
  10. Barr_Beacon

info on Barbarella's and Peppermint Place nightclubs

Seven Seas of Rhye by Queen was released around this time, it still sounds brilliant today.
  11. Barr_Beacon

info on Barbarella's and Peppermint Place nightclubs

If you you stand on the right hand corner of Newhall Street at the junction of Colmore Row, Pollyanna's was about twenty yards on the right on Newhall Street. It was recently the location of Glynn Purnell's Bistro restaurant. I went there for a meal shortly before he closed it. Strangely enough...
  12. Barr_Beacon

Lower Temple Street

That sounds like The Nelson which was on the corner of Temple Row & Temple Street http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/warwickshire/birmingham_b2_lordnelson.html
  13. Barr_Beacon

Bracebridge Street

I loved playing on that old engine!
  14. Barr_Beacon

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

I travelled by bus through Perry Barr by bus on Monday, first time in several years. The congestion was a pain. I remember as a child watching the flyover, the flats on Birchfield Road and the underpass being built in the mid-sixties. Apologies for being negative but I really do think Birmingham...
  15. Barr_Beacon

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

That tram has been used more times than the ones they dug up the city centre for ;)
  16. Barr_Beacon

Nelson Pub c. 1970

That's the one. From what I remember, the bar / counter was shaped like the side of a warship from Nelson's era.
  17. Barr_Beacon

Public Eye_1960s TV series

As a child in the '60s I remember watching this. It had a haunting theme music and for one series was set in Birmingham and starred Alfred Burke as the private detective, Frank Marker...
  18. Barr_Beacon

Birmingham Cinemas

Fingers crossed... https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/electric-cinema-reopen-before-christmas-22036806
  19. Barr_Beacon

Birmingham Cinemas

My father would take me to The Cartoon Picture House (The Jacey) in Station Street in the mid sixties. The funny thing was as well as showing Looney Tunes cartoons, it used to show Flash Gordan (with Buster Crabbe) and Batman which were 'shorts' and shown as a series and The Three Stooges. All...
  20. Barr_Beacon

Birmingham Cinemas

The News Theatre, Birmingham... http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/49047
Back