• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. P

Gothic Cottages Hunters Vale

Lyn, I'm sorry but I don't know how to get on to Villa st. Have messed about since Saturday and no wiser Pat
  2. P

does any one remember the little newsagents shop owned by Mr Moon and his son in Villa St ( Farm st end ) in the 1940's /50s Pat
  3. P

Thanks Lyn Pat
  4. P

I remember Mr Beech the chimney sweep was that around the late 1950's, because he had always been a chimney sweep since I was a little girl in the 1940' s
  5. P

Yes, the entrance was in Villa Street
  6. P

Hello Lyn, what a smashing photo of Villa St, yes that is the shop I see that the photo was dated 1964 what a difference a few years makes to places, she never had outside displays so had possibly retired (?) or sold by then. She had a grown up family of five boys who were all working when I...
  7. P

Hello Lyn, Thanks for the photos. I remember that end of the Vale so well, I was so scared of that post and wire fence after dark, if I had to do an errand I would cross the road and run like hell until I was in Villa Street. I was quite relieved when the hoardings started to go up. The...
  8. P

I was born in Hunters Vale in January 1943. I played out on all the bombed sites as a kid but I don't remember any access to the cottages you are talking about, were they demolished before 1948 ? the year I started school. I wondered if when Rex Nicholls was built they would have been...
  9. P

Burbury street school

Hello Lyn, I also used to look through that gap in the door in Villa St, I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it, used to make my tummy go over when the water was low and the drop looked even worse. I was born in the Vale in January 1943 and lived there until 1956 when the houses were due...
  10. P

Burbury street school

Hello Lyn thank you so much for your reply. Yes I did live in a house in Hunters Vale number 31 but it was one of five double fronted houses that had quite big gardens they were opposite to the maisonettes. I'm not too hot with computers so if my messages take a while it's not that I'm not...
  11. P

Burbury street school

Hello, I'm new to the group but read with interest some of the posts about Burbury St school. I went to that school in 1948 until approx 1952. The headmaster then was Mr Margerison (think that's how you spell it ) and the first class teacher was Miss Butterfield. It is now known as the Harry...
Back