• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Charlie Capel, Dancer, John Bright Street

I've had a look at the will, and everything was left to his wife Jillian, so I suspect there were no children from that marriage. It does confirm that they were living at #680. Presumably they retired there. Thank you @Alberta.
  2. B

Brilliant @Alberta, that seems to confirm that they Charlie was not continental, though I understood that he was said to be of Italian origin. Thank you very much. Maybe this was just something that added to his stage persona! Apologies also for the slightly delayed response. It is unbearably...
  3. B

Thank you very much. Very interesting! Given that the death certificate spells Gillian's name with a 'J', this suggests that I can't be too confident of the accuracy of the rest of the certificate. Eg, the French sounding names might just be the result of the French administrators trying their...
  4. B

I was provided with a copy of the death certificate today. It confirms his parents' names, and his wife at the time (not Edna Nicholls). It says that that address was his residence. I wonder whether he was there because that was where he had family? I had understood that he was of Italian...
  5. B

Number 678 is just adjacent to the river. On the other side of the river is Les Suites de Robinson 778 Avenue De La Mer. I can't see they there was a 680 unless 778 was built on part of it (it looks like some of it could be new).
  6. B

The opposite side is odd numbers only and includes 681. That is now a very fancy hotel which must have been built very recently. However on the even number side there seem to be only older properties. I have a French friend who is an advocate, so I'm going to see what he thinks.
  7. B

@pjmburns that is extremely kind of you to respond so quickly! Thank you! I still suspect it is a transcription error, maybe in the UK. I'm told that it's unusual around here to have consequtive numbering as the old plot numbers were agglomerated to make larger plots. So it would be unusual to...
  8. B

@EmmaHayner, thanks for your message. Did you know Charlie Capel, or see any of his dancing? I'd love to know.
  9. B

Dear @Alberta, by chance, I am in the South of France visiting my in-laws. I passed by 680 Avenue de la Mer this morning. However, there does not seem to be a number 680. There was a 678, but many of the other numbers / plots seem to be missing. It's quite a posh area! There was also a 608. I...
  10. B

I wonder if there are any photos of him anywhere?
  11. B

Wow! That's fascinating. Thank you so much. What interesting lives they must have lived.
  12. B

Goodness, well spotted! I've been through the Birmingham newspapers and it looks like they were a regular fixture in the 1930s and 40s. There is reference to them competing internationally too.
  13. B

Hi Viv! Yes, I think she was his wife. According to the phone directory, they ran the dance school in John Bright Street together until the 1960s. Then it carried on in her name only for a few years (maybe he passed on?).
  14. B

Does anybody remember Charlie Capel? He was a champion dancer around the time of the second world war, and ran a dance school with his wife in John Bright Street.
Back