• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. F

Sheldon Heath Comprehensive

Hi I never had the pleasure of the Coombes family teaching me chemistry but a male teacher whose name I forget but who took unkindly to me sitting out a chemistry lesson ( literally as I decided to sit in the boys toilet for the lesson-could never get the hang of chemistry ) My hideout was...
  2. F

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

I remember some of these guys who I played with for Birmingham Boys team that year, Graham Butlin centre front, Roger Coudjo ? far left and far right Askey ? Later I played with Graham and his brother John for a sunday youth team called BG Brazilia, we won a lot of stuff
  3. F

Groups We Have Seen Live

Wow some of you guys have seen a lot of live bands- I remember seeing Led Zeppelin at the Town Hall around 1968/69 accompanied by Jethro Tull and Blodwyn Pig. The weirdest live performance I saw was in 2003, we were in New York and had just done the carriage ride round Central Park and were...
  4. F

Hi Doug, I found that short story and attach for your entertainment. I'm not sure this is in the right format but hopefully you can read it-regards Richard
  5. F

Hi Doug, thanks for the kind words. Anyone who even attempts to write a book deserves my praise, its a long haul and not easy. Looking back, the idea germinated in 2005 but with work and life interrupting it took me until 2017 to complete it. I am proud of my achievement but if you want big...
  6. F

Birmingham Cinemas

For me living in Sheldon obviously the Sheldon on Cov Rd was my local although it was a fair old walk from my house in Frodesley Rd. Then the one at the Swan, the Tivoli? That was a bus ride. Saw many films there, loved Zorro. My mum bought me a plastic sword with a section at the top end so you...
  7. F

Argyle Artful Billy - Professor of Punch

Hi I think earlier in this thread about The Professor, one of the moderators listed the pubs Billy Argyle had managed and The Garrison was not one of them but considering his reputation for enjoying a drink around the local area and the company he kept I am sure he would have taken a libation at...
  8. F

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

Hi Shorttermer, yes and even more amazing all 3 went to Sheldon Heath Comp- must have instilled a sense of adventure in us. Youre right about sport out here, lots of encouragement and opportunities to have a go at any sport, theres basketball courts and tennis courts everywhere. How would you...
  9. F

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

Wow. So proud of my home city. Watching from Australia, the whole ceremony was so professional and spectacular enough to rival any recent games of any note. For us on this forum it also covered so much history of our city, the things we made, ' from pins to a ships anchor' my Dad reckoned. Was...
  10. F

Blakenhale Junior School

Hi Malcolm, thought you went to comp as you mentioned many in your year who did so you wouldnt have known my sister. We lived in Frodesley Rd and yes I remember Vince the ice cream man, always happy that guy. Did you get the guy who sold toffee apples from a two wheeled cart, scrumptious.
  11. F

Blakenhale Junior School

Hi Malcolm, yes although a few years younger than you I remember my family talking about the big fight at my school. Bicycle chains and knuckledusters were mentioned i think. Teddy Boys, Elvis and Bill Haley, Marlon Brando when he played that part of a bikie. The world was beginning to change...
  12. F

Thats what I got-I'll try again
  13. F

Hey Doug, I have sent an email to you-might have gone to junk
  14. F

Well I can say my life hasn't been dull. Yes Smithy did relent and turned the expulsion into a suspension after my Mum and Dad turned up at school to meet him. You would have laughed, there's my Dad with his leg encased in a plaster cast as he had broken it at work, limping about trying to get a...
  15. F

Doug, guilty as charged. Someone I think Ian Burns phoned the Birmingham Evening Mail and made the claim, 'our headboy has been expelled for no good reason' and then it all blew up. I recall a reporter called me at home and asked a few questions. Before I knew it I had told him I was only up at...
  16. F

Hiya Doug, Smith, couldnt remember surname but one of the few things I managed to do that year was write down the names of everyone. I am back row 2nd from right, Richard
  17. F

That was a quick find-heres the photo
  18. F

Hi Historynut, I was there same years as you and that photo looks like a few years before us. I have an end of year photo somewhere of the upper 6th in 1969. I will find it and post it for further discussion
  19. F

I was just reading a post re, Mapledene School and noticed a name, Trevor Slater. Isnt it funny how names hang around in your memory. At the Comp. my sister was a few years older and all these guys from her year who played football for the school were like heroes to me when I started there. Some...
Back