• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

Hollingsworth Tobacconist

Yes I bought my dads first pipe from the same shop in the 70s and I remember it looked very oldie worldie inside. .I also bought my cocktail cigarettes which had lovely pastel colours and we only smoked them when we went out because we felt so posh but they were very expensive I think I paid 5...
  2. S

thelbridge road

Yes it is in longbridge as my friend moved there 8 years ago.It is a housing association.Her house is next to a railway line .Her back garden has a steep hill going down to the railway line .The only odd thing about the houses is they share their front lawn with their neighbours.They all have...
  3. S

Our childhood toys

In the 60's my brothers played many hours with their plastic forts that they assembled and had the plastic cowboys and Indians to go with it.The only thing that spoilt it was they always smashed it up to put it away when they were finished with it.
  4. S

It’s mw0njm (Pete’s) birthday

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! AND DONT WORRY AS THE SAYING GOES , THERES MANY A FINE TUNE PLAYED ON AN OLD FIDDLE '.
  5. S

Possible suicide - Update

My God Janice your so good and quick at solving and sending some of the members issues they need information for.You should be working for Ancestry yourself your so good.
  6. S

sayings

I only found out today that the saying "Daylight robbery" originated in the 18th and 19th centuries when king William the 3rd was desperate for money so he put a tax on how many windows and doors you had got .That is why when you see old buildings with their windows and doors bricked in it was...
  7. S

Covid vaccination process

My friend who is working at the Aston villa covid center has told me that alot of nurses and payed helpers had to be sent home early and some have had their shifts cancelled due to the fact that a lot of people are not turning up even though they have appointments and the vaccine that they use...
  8. S

Highcroft Hall Erdington circa 1936 to 1950

My brother went into mental health nurse training in the 80s at high Croft he always carried a lighter with him to light their cigarettes but he decided it was not for him as he found it quite dangerous he said you could never turn your back on the patients .He was assaulted a few times mainly...
  9. S

Covid vaccination process

Yes they are definitely having covid injections at the Aston Villa ground as my friend has been offered the job to help them .She is going for more training tomorrow.My cousin who works for social services and is 58 had to have her covid injection yesterday at 12 at good hope hospital my other...
  10. S

sayings

I have just read a post by nico today where he said his mate had a rigmoral I have not heard that word for years even though I always use it dus anyone know where it originated from as when you see it writ down it looks and sounds weird.
  11. S

St Chads Cathedral

I was christened and had my first holy communion at st Chad's and I went to st Chad's junior school which was down the side road next to st Chad's in them days it was run by the nuns.EVery year we always had a Christmas choir at st Chad's the whole school sang infront of the congregation and...
  12. S

Guy Fawkes Night.....Memories

When I was young my mum use to buy us 1 box of Standard fireworks from Coopers newsagents shop on the highstreet in Aston.She always put them straight into a tin box for safety we always were so excited we always kept opening the tin box to look at all the fireworks.When the 5th finally came we...
  13. S

Exchange Restaurant Stephenson Place

Yes it was I went there a few times .It was the place where I first tasted duck .When they served it to me I said I would never eat all that cus it was a half a duck and it covered my whole plate . Little did I know by the time you got down to the eating part there was not much meat on it ...
  14. S

Sayings, legends and customs.

There is many superstitions that has been around for generations whether we believe in all of them is down to ourselves .the main one I believe in and have always kept to is never walk under a ladder or it will bring you bad luck even though many a time I have put myself in danger going round a...
  15. S

Queens Beat Club, Erdington?

I use to go to the peppers club back in 1973 or 74 it was full of school kids around 14 or 15 years old .I cannot remember if they sold us alcohol or just soft drinks and it might of well been a special disco once a week for us kids but I know it was the place to go then cus it was always packed.
Back