• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Little king st hockley

Thank you for this! It appears from one of the maps that shows the numbers as odd and even, that 61 was one house in from the Felt Works. Interesting that Thomas Taylor at Number 65 was a marine store dealer too. Many on the street appear to be shops or businesses (likely within their own living...
  2. S

Little king st hockley

I wonder if they all appeared in the trade directories? I suppose those that were considered legitimate businesses would be...
  3. S

Little king st hockley

Agreed. Lots of threads to look through and look forward to now the days are beginning to close in!!! Enjoy!
  4. S

Little king st hockley

Yes Richard, being a Brum I have many ancestors - as I'm sure we all do - who worked in coal mines, as nailers, as servants, boatmen, etc. Just reading about my nailer ancestors in Bartley Green and Halesowen has given me great insight into the hard graft and the subsequent illnesses and causes...
  5. S

Little king st hockley

Thanks Lyn. That's so true! We all complain today of little inconveniences, but look what they went through. Large families living in small back-to-backs, long walks in the cold, rainy dark to a shared loo, long days of hard labour in dangerous conditions. I only hope they would feel gratified...
  6. S

Little king st hockley

Family story goes that she was married to John McDonough and they changed their names to Mac/McDonald when they arrived in England from Ireland. The Irish were definitely not popular so maybe they thought they could use a name that looked more Scottish than Irish? Great observation that her...
  7. S

Little king st hockley

Ta Brian! I see from the map Astoness posted that 61 was one of the small block of houses next to the Felt works. It looks too small to have been a shop, but maybe they had something out in the back. Louisa was listed in the City & County Trade directories between 1876 and 1884 at the Little...
  8. S

Little king st hockley

Astoness - thank you so much for the wonderful photos of Little King St. That's the Brum I grew up in!
  9. S

Little king st hockley

I just read this latest post before mine. How fascinating, Roger, that your ancestor lived next door to mine! Would love to know if you have any family stories of the people living on the street at that time.
  10. S

Little king st hockley

I'm looking for information about the address 61 Little King Street. I have a great-great-grandmother named Louisa MacDonald who lived there in the 1870s and 1880s according to the census records. She was from an Irish immigrant family and was widowed, living there with her children and...
  11. S

Crossroads programme

Rachel, did your uncle live in Sutton Coldfield and attend Boldmere Junior School in the 1950's? If so, I was a classmate of his.
  12. S

Crossroads programme

Did Paul Hodgkinson attend Boldmere Junior School in Sutton Coldfield in the 1960s? If so, I was a classmate of his.
  13. S

Hope Lodge, Edgbaston

Malcom, if you have an email you'd like to share, perhaps we can expand the topic there and share more information about our own journeys that might not fit here? Sylvia
  14. S

Hope Lodge, Edgbaston

! Even though some of us are not living nearby, we still have connections. I have family in Harborne, Sutton Coldfield and the Midlands and have visited often over the years. My birth mother's family are all from Northfield/Bartley Green and Halesowen. At the time of my birth, her family was in...
  15. S

Hope Lodge, Edgbaston

Hi Malcom/Robin. I agree with Brenda that your birth papers would tell you a lot. I was born in 1948 at the Dudley Road hospital (City hospital). I know that before my birth my mother stayed with a sister-in-law. At some point we went to Hope Lodge, but I was born in the hospital so I don't know...
  16. S

Hope Lodge, Edgbaston

Thank you Brenda! These are great photos. I wonder what the date of the early one was - looks like maybe the 50's? Sylvia
  17. S

Hope Lodge, Edgbaston

I would love to see the photo Brenda. I am on Facebook but am not really a user of it. I mostly check it to see what family and friends are doing. My email address is: [email protected] if you could send it there. I only have pictures from a few years ago, but if you live there you will...
  18. S

Hope Lodge, Edgbaston

Hi Brenda, I have some too of a recent visit to Clarendon Road. My adoptive mother used to say, whenever we passed that road, "You were born down there." I know it was a residence for unwed mothers, but don't know if it was also a maternity home. My records show I was born at the Dudley Road...
  19. S

Hope Lodge, Edgbaston

Thank you Brenda, this is interesting. I have my adoption proceedings record, which states that I was at Hope Lodge and the dates, but there is no information other than that about my first three months. My mother told me a few details of what her experience was like in 1948. She was kept in a...
  20. S

Hope Lodge, Edgbaston

Hello All. I am interested in locating any records or information about Hope Lodge in the late 1940s. I was born Nancy Jones at the Dudley Road hospital 8 December 1948. My mother and I were then sent to Hope Lodge. I was adopted from there in March 1949. I've since reunited with my birth mother...
Back