• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

duplicate info
  2. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

Thanks Lynn really appreciate it. I don't know whether it will reveal anything about Eliza and Matilda but it may say when they were put into Gem street, or what became of them when they left etc. I've no idea. Im hoping something may give a clue about Sabina too. I did stumble across a...
  3. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

I got the info off Norfolk family history site. They had records on it. I think there are two william platfoots so assuming one son and the other father. A william platfoot married Elizabeth Preston (presston) in yarmouth. Also a George Platfoot lives a few doors away from Robert...
  4. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

6th August 1826 William Platfoot was baptised in Yarmouth, the son of John and Elizabeth Easter. As above Elizabeth was the sister of Margaret Preston. So perhaps his dad was the witness to the marriages above? Date: Surname: Easter Child: William Platfoot Father: John - Sailor...
  5. Vixen

D.N.A. TESTING

Also Devon and Cornwall and West Midlands, Warwickshire and Worcestershire were my main areas under my English percentage. Mums parents Birmingham, and grandads parents Birmingham, he was a Hadley. Hadley ancestors all around Birmingham, Worcestershire and Sheffield. had 9% Jewish which I...
  6. Vixen

D.N.A. TESTING

Oh my dads On my dads side yes matches came up via an Edith May Norbury. I couldn’t figure out how we were matched at first as I had believed alberts mum was Martha redfearn. then I discovered my dads dad wasn’t born norbury but Abraham’s. His dad changed names and when he split with Edith...
  7. Vixen

Workhouse Infirmary

Is this also why herbalists were used rather than seeking medical help or was this more to do with wanting to avoid traditional medical paths/drugs?
  8. Vixen

Workhouse Infirmary

Out of interest was there any other hospitals in Birmingham 1860’s onwards other than the western road infirmary? If so why go to the workhouse infirmary? Thanks
  9. Vixen

D.N.A. TESTING

I did ancestry’s DNA and have found relatives 2nd cousins. I also found my dad before taking the test and the dna result confirmed parentage. I found I had a high percentage of Irish dna which I didn’t expect and 32% English a lot lower than I thought.
  10. Vixen

its jayells birthday

11. Vixen

its mikejees birthday

12. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

Oh I know. I think what stood out was the Edward Barret who was listed on a baptism record and the name snelling. As you say many people with the same names but it still caught my attention when searching records
  13. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

Okay putting this out here even tho Im not sure how any of this fits with what we have linked together but I came across a census for Robert Mays estimated birth year 1806 - st faiths Norfolk who isn't a shoemaker but in the 1861 census we have a family of Snelling living right next door and and...
  14. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

Does this look like Molloy to others? Just checking
  15. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

There is an entry for Eliza Moyes but when you look at the original census, looks like Mayes. I would lay bets this is Matilda's sister. Eliza was 8, dont know when the census was done, perhaps before Eliza's birthday. It has her down as 8 even tho she was born 1861 but one of those years...
  16. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

Great Janice thank you
  17. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

Im going to look further at the rest of the godparents, also on Elizabeth Guest who was a witness to Sabina and Thomas's wedding. It may lead no where. So william long who was married to Ann Bassingthwaite, most likely mother of Eliza Bassingthwaite who married James Mayes/Maisey was present...
  18. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

So I wonder who the loodmers are. Unusual name there as well
  19. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

There are admission records for the period matilda and Eliza were at Gem Street Industrial School, and was told childrens records are under reference MS 994/5/1, plus other categories under MS 994/5. Previously I posted these numbers here too Ms994/14 and ms994/23. The birmingham coroner for...
  20. Vixen

Matilda Mayes

I only assumed James was alive as on most marriage docs if the father is deceased it usually has that added. Ive come across a lot of them where a son or daughter is getting married, they list the dad but it has deceased entered. Yeah I can get the making up of a name, it could be even her mum...
Back