• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. T

Old street pics..

Those houses were privately built in 1933. As far as I know they were all for rent when new. My parents were buying a nice semi-detached in Jubilee Avenue Redditch at the time but my dad was not comfortable with the mortgage and so, when he heard about these new houses for rent in West Heath, he...
  2. T

Old street pics..

VE Day - 8th May 1945 Sir Hiltons Road, West Heath Picture 1 - That's me on the far left with my decorated scooter. And my sister Pat sitting down. Picture 3 - Taken in front of our house - no. 35 Still another 5 years or so until the end of rationing
  3. T

Prefabs

This in reply to an old post I just came across in the prefabs forum. I lived in Sir Hiltons Road, West Heath when young and remember watching the workmen erecting the prefabs in Redhill Road in about 1947. They went up very quickly, in a day or two, as I remember. The farm referred to was...
  4. T

Coffee Bars:

Hi John referring to your post of 2015. I believe you are right about the El Toro being located in Ethel Street. I remember it as on the corner of Ethel St and Pinfold St (which would put it on the right hand side going down Ethel from New Street). According to Google Maps the actual building...
  5. T

Coffee Bars:

Maurice and Carolina Thanks for that info re the Jerry Allen Trio. I am sure that I saw them at this jazz venue which I thought was next door to the Sombrero. However, I just found an old photo on the web showing the Sombrero with a shoe shop next door, captioned 1961. (See attached). So I...
  6. T

Coffee Bars:

I actually left Brum for London in late 1959 so my guess is that the jazz club which I remember probably closed in 1958. It most definitely was a jazz club which opened sometime after the Sombrero opened but that's all I can remember for sure. Wish I could remember the name of the trio who were...
  7. T

Metro Goldwyn Mayer In Birmingham

Gerry I worked for Warner Bros for a few months in 1957. The films were stored downstairs, outside in separate brick buildings because many of the older films were on nitrate cellulose stock and highly inflamable. Thursday morning was very busy with all of the Mon/Tues/Wed showings being...
  8. T

Coffee Bars:

Maurice There definitely was a jazz club adjacent to the Sombrero ( I remember it as next door and I think it may have been called the 21 Club). I believe it was owned by the same people and they must have spent quite a lot on the fitout - it even had a balcony coffee bar. Some of the top...
  9. T

Stagedoor Coffee Bar

Hi Maurice Thanks for the tip (re the quotes). Brought up lots of info including the name of the establishment which I couldn't remember.Turned out to be the Fiesta in Summer Row. Was a bit off the track but worth a visit. Trevor
  10. T

Stagedoor Coffee Bar

Anybody remember the El Toro coffee bar located on a corner somewhere close to Lower Temple Street? I believe it was operated by the same people who later set up the Sombrero on the Horsefair and then another one which name I can't remember located I think in Edmund Street or thereabouts. They...
  11. T

Cherry Street

That brings back memories of my first job at W H Smith in Corp Street in 1957. The back door of the shop led out into Cannon Street and I often visited the Windsor pub (opposite) for half of mild and a pork pie at lunch time. Have lived in NZ for years but have many memories of my early days in...
Back