• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. H

Lots of WW11 photos of Brum

Is that Alf Garnett in the background?
  2. H

George Dixons Grammar School

No I did not do 6th form. Sadly, I did not take GD very seriously. It was after a poor showing one year that a teacher told me that "...someone has to sweep the roads." After that I lost interest and in my opinion at the time, was of the opinion that GD was a stagnant relic, staffed by some...
  3. H

1963/4-1969. I was in 1A with Rudi. One event that has stayed with me over the years was our introduction to Art with Pat Hanks. He espoused a very 'radical' (but quite correct) opinion that plastic flowers and 'Paint by Numbers' were a ghastly insult to nature and the art world. Mr. Hanks said...
  4. H

I am so sorry to hear that. Rudi was a great rugby player and exceptionally nice person also. Was this a long illness or something else?
  5. H

Looking directly at the camera is, I believe, Martin Ashcroft. Talking to Rudolph Smith is Bill Hendon. Also it looks like John Dale, Geoff Benton and Mark Goldberg in the background.
  6. H

1960s cars

I
  7. H

Calthorpe Road

Beautiful house. There are some very similar on Wellington Road.
  8. H

David you are absolutely correct. The church on the corner in question was St Germain's Church. Terry and I were good friends and as he took the number 8 bus to Lee Bank Road and to his home on Ryland Road. During my time at City Road, I would take this minor detour so that we could spend time...
  9. H

Scanning back through my memories of GD, I remember happy times and one particular episode rather vividly. I've typed it out and called it 'Snow Day'. I hope it's not too long and wonder if anyone else can recall those happy times. There are few joyous moments for a 12 year old boy, attending...
  10. H

The Battle of Britain

My statement about the Polish Air Force being no match for the Luftwaffe was not meant to be critical of the Polish pilots but more their aircraft and command and control. It is widely known the 302 ad 303 squadrons (Polish) were the most successful of all RAF squadrons as far as their shoot...
  11. H

The Battle of Britain

Up until the Battle of Britain, the Luftwaffe had experienced an easy run of things but when pitted against the RAF were doomed to lose. The Polish Air Force was no match, as was the French. The Stuka dive bomber had been used to great effect in conjunction with German ground troops. That all...
  12. H

Hello John. I just read your last missive. It is with great sadness that I write of Pete's passing on August 3rd. He fought a very stoic and courageous battle with esophageal cancer, supported by his wife Ann, but as in so many of these cases, the illness won. Pete and I had been communicating...
Back