• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

William Newman & Sons Ltd., Hospital St., B’ham

Hello Clare and my apology for not responding sooner. I joined Newman Tonks after leaving school in 1955 and we parted company in 1975. Because of the passage of time my memory is somewhat limited now, but despite that I can still remember the names and faces of some of the foremen of the...
  2. D

Great Russell street

A message which I formulated some time ago and which was in response to your post 695204 which was probably dated around August 2020, some how vanished into the ether. Anyway by chance I came across the message in my photos and this related to the football photos I had sent previously and you...
  3. D

Great Russell street

Hi brummy - lad I cant remember if I have contributed to your previous exchanges in relation to the above, but I thought I would add my 2 penneth. My wife who sadly passed away just 2 years ago lived at 4 back of 193 in Great Russel Street and we met at our place of work which was William Newman...
  4. D

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Wonderful range of photographs which have been a delight to view and which have brought back some very happy memories. Born in Erdington but moved to Holland Road in Aston at a very early age. My school days up until leaving at age 15 were spent at Upper Thomas Street. Who could forget the...
  5. D

Hi Lyn, I am completely puzzled as to what happened to my reply to your message dated august last year. I know I did respond but for some reason it did not send. I will make a point of trying to locate it among my now deleted messages and will be in touch again in due course. Derek, Proper...
  6. D

Hello Paul, been a little while since I made a contribution to the forum and was pleased to receive your comments. I definitely remember the name of your father particularly because I spent a lot of my time in the Briton assembly shop chasing up customer orders with the manager Eric Garner and...
  7. D

Hi Viv, Lyn. Yes I remember it well particularly the numbers of staff who were on tenterhooks waiting to see if they were among the lucky ones who had been selected to be part of the employee group. In our office from memory there was only one person selected a lady - who's name escapes me, and...
  8. D

Hi Phil ,Dave. Hopefully the photos will send this time. Derek.
  9. D

Hi Phil, Dave, It sounds like I might have to send the attachments separately, I will look at it again later and get back to you.. Derek
  10. D

Hi Phil, Dave, Nice to read that Phil has stumbled across our William Newman exchanges and made an contribution to our past memories. My employment commenced some 13 years before you joined Phil which is perhaps the reason why I do not recognise very many of the names you highlighted. If Gerald...
  11. D

Hi Phil, Dave. Over the weekend just gone I did a fairly lengthy response but unfortunately I couldn't send it because I was unsure how to attach a combination of photos historical and sporting and needed to get some assistance from one of my grandchildren. In the interim period my reply appears...
  12. D

Hi Dave Some interesting comment again, I remember the Barn at Witton being talked about in fact my brother in law was also a member but I don't ever remember going there. I tried to find further information but by the looks of things it appeared to have closed its doors several years ago. I...
  13. D

Hi Dave, I think I completely got my geography wrong in relation to Witton Road. The two roads fairly adjacent to Aston Cross which I had got confused were Park Road which headed in the direction of the Villa and Aston Hall//Park, spent many hours playing football there. The other one was...
  14. D

Hi Dave The thing about Frank Mason was that if I went to see him in the morning trying to push something, he didn't want to know, contrast that with seeing him again after lunch when hed'e had a drop and he couldn't be more helpful. Some of the finishes that were produced in his department were...
  15. D

Great Russell street

Hi Lyn thanks for the photos which certainly bring back some fond memories. My wife lived at 4 back of 193 and her mother was actually born there circa 1901/2. Mother used to drink in the snug in the pub just up the road but unfortunately it's been too long for Vi to remember the name. She does...
  16. D

Hi Dave and thanks for your response. Mr H R Bushell was the personal manager and I found him a bit eccentric. I vividly remember being interviewed by him on the Friday morning before I started on the Monday 10th January 1955 and as it was close to lunchtime he asked me if I could come back...
  17. D

As a new member from today I have found it very interesting reading all the comments and particularly the latest contribution from ex Briton Worker. I joined the company on the 10th January 1955 age 15 as a Progress Chaser and Commercial trainee and in fact worked in the same office as Bill...
Back