• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. F

Chapel House St. No.s 13 & 18

Can anyone tell me where abouts No.s 13 & 18 Chapel House St, Deritend were, around 1904 in relation to the Junction with Green St and Bone Yard ? and was it still only around 50 yards long, or did it include some of Birchall St at the time ? A map would be a great help.
  2. F

Unfortunate business names.

We have all seen Bodgit and scarper, robin B'stard etc. But i Just passed a shop on Bristol Rd called 'Ashkan Quality Meat' When we were kids, some of the old neighbors called the Dustbin the Ashcan. Also saw a Shoe repair kiosk once, cant remember where, probably not in Brum but it was called...
  3. F

Oh well said Nell

Our mom was fond of saying "Oh well, said Nell" which was quite a common phrase among old folk when I was a lad. Sometimes followed by " The holes in my ass will never get well" But who was Nell ? Another was " You dont know hay from a bulls foot", or was it A from a bulls foot ? once or...
  4. F

Stranger On The Shore. Tv Serial

I keep hearing the tune lately. Do I remember right that it was originall the theme tune to a short lived TV series about an aupair living with a middle class family, or maybe even a soap ?
  5. F

Coat of arms BMAG, wot no hammer ?

I drove past the rear of the Museum today, Great Charles St. at least I think of it as the back. The entrance that used to have a Buddha type statue outside anyway. Above the doors theres a carving of the Bham Coat of Arms, but where there is usually an arm wielding a hammer, theres what looks...
  6. F

Little Green Lane/Storrs Place.

Driving along Little Green La today for the first time in donkeys years. I noticed Storrs Place, just before the school on the opposite side. Could be my memory, but I'm sure that it wasnt there when I was a kid. But Storrs Place does ring a bell, it was around there somewhere. Possibly...
  7. F

Picture Palace green Lane.

Spotted this on ebay. Just wondered if anyone on here knows anything about it.
  8. F

Good reason to join the RAC

Good reason to join the RAC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8927Zu1GZk&NR=1
Back