• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. F

Items that have faded away

Cant remember last time I saw anyone wearing bicycle clips. They did look ridiculous though.
  2. F

Bordesley green

I beleive they bought that stand from the Villa when they moved, so there might be a clue there.
  3. F

Bordesley green

The Blues Ground id in Bordesley. B9, but was in Muntz St/Swanage Rd years ago, which would have been B10. Although Small Heath was part of Aston till, I think, till about 1914. Might be wrong there though. I think this has been discussed on this forum before, The boundary was somewhere around...
  4. F

Small Heath Streets

Somewhere on the internet there is a site with old ATV news film stock, cant for the life of me remember what site it is. But there is an early 60s clip re a strike at Butlers, with film footage of Hawkes St. Teres no sound, but the pics were interesting. Somebody on here is bound to know what...
  5. F

Small Heath Streets

There was The Small Arms Pub at one end, and The Freeholders pub in the middle(ish) If you have e a mooch on t'interweb I,m certain you'll find photos. Also Butlers factory took up a fair bit of one side of the street. What years was your mom living there ?
  6. F

Sweeneys , tv rentals

That was FH Alstons I think.
  7. F

Garrison Lane Pubs

Was thi it ? Lifted from. https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/hotspots/birmingham.php Arrested for stabbing someone. Wonder if that was in Garrison Lane. Location: Birmingham - Private house along Garrison Lane, Small Heath Type: Haunting Manifestation Date / Time: 1963 Further Comments...
  8. F

World War 1-Zeppelins over Birmingham

My mother was born in 1912, and I can remember her telling me about seeing Zepelins that were bombing Birmingham, I think she meant Small Heath, during WW1
  9. F

Once upon a time, there was a Tavern

Every time I see threads about the pub bombings, and there are a few on this forum, most of the posts are about how hard it was for the Irish comunity. I'm amazed by how many people almost seem to forget that 21 people died, and over 200 had horrific injuries. yes I do realise, and do remember...
  10. F

St Margarets Hospital - Great Barr

Thought somebody might find these interesting. https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/775-Great-Barr-Idiot-Colony-(St-Margerets)-15-01-06 https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/60390-Isolation-ward-on-the-grounds-of-Great-Barr-Idiot-Colony-Great-Barr-May-2011?  ...
  11. F

costermonger pub

Reason I thought of The Brown Derby was it was decorated with a horseracing theme. Also iirc, had one wall which was all mirror,
  12. F

costermonger pub

That sounds like The Brown Derby. Which was in the underpass opposite the Gaumont. Only Costermonger I remember was in the shops behind Oasis.
  13. F

Small Heath Cricket Club

SHCC. Just a thought, but could it be connected with Small Heath Congregational Church ? I do know that clubs were quite often often connected with churches. According to Bob Marstens book on Small Heath Park, Ada Rd Adult Bible Class ran a Cricket club with 80 members, for example. So it...
  14. F

Bengal Matches, used to buy them from Mannys in Cattell Rd, but what were they actually for ? And vending machines outside paper shops. I can remembe a 1d Matches machine in Cattell rd that sold a little box of safety matches, about half the size of and Englands Glory box. Seems like Chocolate...
  15. F

Coventry road Police station.

I think I remember seeing a Sunbeam Alpine, or possibly a Sunbeam Tiger, being used as a Police car on the A45 around 1968/69. I was told they needed them to catch the faster cars on the M45, Alpines werent all that fast iirc, but the Tiger with 4.7 litres seems a bit like overkill to me.
  16. F

Up till 1964 we had resale price maintenance. So a tin of Beans or whatever, cost the same no matter where you bought it, or who sold it.
  17. F

Local advertising of yesteryear

Opposite Foster Bros. Next door to Woolies - ish. My sisters used to go there.
  18. F

Lewis's Department Store

Thats not the real Santa. saw that santa walking down Alum Rock Rd the just other day....:stung:
  19. F

Mansion polish. Always used to make our moms house smell clean. Dividend Tea..From the Co Op I expect.
  20. F

For years I used to make up a cleaner/degreaser by putting about half a cup of cloudy ammonia in a spray bottle, adding a little bit of fairy liquid then topping it up with water. It was commonly used in the TV trade to clean up TV cabinets that were covered in nicotine stains etc, and worked...
Back