• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. C

Tile Cross Infants & Junior School Shiretone School

I am stunned reading this from you. My main teacher for, at least, 3 years was Miss Pullen, later to become Mrs Walker. We were very fortunate to have such a lovely lady to teach us. I was at Shirestone from about 1953 until 58 when I went to Central Grammar in Gressel Lane. I lived in Leycroft...
  2. C

Southalls factory

No, sorry--I was only 17 at the time. I think that Iwas too young to drink! The football team was not connected to the Brookhill Pub. Although in Birmingham most of the good players were sent to Wolverhampton for trials, except Bunny Larkin-Bert Linnecore and John Watts who went to the Blues...
  3. C

Southalls factory

I worked for a cleaning company every Friday night. Boy was it dusty. We used ladies towels to try and keep dust away. I used to do Top Card Room and Slashers!! Around this time of 1964 I played for Brookhil F C. I think manager was a bit suspect!
  4. C

Nursery Rhymes And Songs

Thelma I understand that an old definition of a 'cutting' 6?369 The Alley refers to the old word for" cutting". The rhyme refers to the Manchester Ship Canal which is a 36 mile "Alley" from Ellesmere Port on the River Mersey to Trafford Park in Manchester. The rhyme was sung in the song...
  5. C

Marston Green & Tile Cross

I lived in Leycroft Avenue, off Gressel Lane, so we used our bikes to go train spotting at Marston Green. We loved it and met lots of pals. We also met "fudgers" These were lads who underlined locomotives that would never have come through M. Green, and, of course, they were on their own when a...
  6. C

Tile cross/ marston green / dorridge

Great memories. Liked ANN b. I lived in Leycroft Avenue by B K school.Lived there from 1952-1970. Loved the uniforms. I went to Central. Used to go to Marston Green to watch trains go by. A pal lived in a similar pre fab in Tile Cross Road-a stones throw from Mackadown Lane.
  7. C

Love to know who Villager is! Iused to go to St Peters Church every Saturday morning for the matinee. Sometimes we would play in the local sand pit nearby. I can't remember what is was called.
  8. C

Hello Susan, I am a lot older than you. I left Shirestone in 1958 for Central Grammar School. I was also singled out by Mr Penny as a growler! I loved Miss Pullen and was quite upset when she married. I think Mr Dunkley was also quite sweet on her. I lived at 24 Leycroft Avenue,which was an end...
  9. C

Birmingham Amateur Football Teams

H His name was Bill Wilcox. I played for Brookhill back in 1961-62. Bunny Larkin and Bert Linnecor(both Blues) used to help Bill with the training,even though the had moved to Norwich and Lincoln.Bill Wilcox hzd a good relationship sith Wolves and one or two of us got to go there for trials et...
  10. C

Tile cross/ marston green / dorridge

Hi Eddies Cafe. I worked for CO-OP dairy in late 60's. My round was in Shard End so breakfast at Eddies was start of each day. I accidently hit the milk machine outside with my truck! I was also leading goalscorer for the Co-op team. (Downhill then on) Colin Stark
  11. C

East Meadway 1956.

Sheila - I remember shops very well. Mom used to send me to greengrocers every Sat. Billinghams ...a quarter of lemonade powder, a quarter of pineapple rocks and a frozen jubbly = dental plate at 70 !! When I was a little older it was the Off-licence at the other end of the shops...
  12. C

East Meadway 1956.

Hopefully they were still happy days. Sheila, I would love to know where you lived when you went to Shirestone. I lived in Leycroft Avenue from 1952 until 1970. Colin
  13. C

East Meadway 1956.

Don't tell me ! Can't be. I once went out with a girl called Janice. Only for a couple of weeks or so. I think it would be around 1962. I was still at Central,we were only 15- but I had managed to get enough money to take her to see an Elvis film. Can't remember anything else. Anyway I was...
  14. C

East Meadway 1956.

Seems that I am much older than you ! I went to Shirestone when it opened in (?) 1953 until I went to Central Grammar in Summer of 1958. I lived in Leycroft Avenue next to Byng Kenrick and Central Grammar. I loved the BK uniforms !!! Miss Pullen was my form teacher in my last year. In these...
  15. C

East Meadway 1956.

Shiela. What years did you go to Shirestone? My favourite teacher was Miss Pullen(later Mrs Walker). Remember. I was head paperboy at Newsagents. Downhill since then!!!!!!!!!!! Colin Stark
  16. C

Central Grammar, International School Tile Cross

Boy -do I remember the Brylcream ! I think we tried to be a bit like BILLY FURY. I used to hang about with Leo Sheldon, Andrew Thomas and Charlie Ollis. I can't remember many others. Derek Buxton has sent in a school pic from 1962. Yes -you can see my mop of black hair !! Which one are you,Colin...
  17. C

Byng Kenrick Girls' Grammar School

Not allowed near the fence ! ! Great. I got the cane when I climbed over the fence into BK to get our ball back. Colin Stark (Central)
  18. C

East Meadway 1956.

Further..I have been informed that the newsagents in East Meadway was owned by a MRS MOORE. My mum used to send me to the newsagents for 5 PLAYERS WEIGHTS. The other 5 were kept for a few days. No Vaping then !!!!!!!!
  19. C

I'm all at sea. I thought you left in 58 and got your "basket" of O levels in 63. I would be interested to know if either you or Marlene remembered , at least, my name from Shirestone? My pals were Leo Sheldon (Hayward Road) Andrew Thomas (Gressel Lane) Graham Ellis and Gregory...
  20. C

Hi... I hope it will not be too long before we see your further adventures from Shirestone and Byng Kenrick. By the way do either you or Marlene remember a JUDITH CZUNI (<?) from Shirestone. They emigrated to Canada,I think, Do you know, I think that you were also my dancing partner at...
Back