• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. E

Parks Policemen Park Keepers

If it’s the same Peter Purnell, I remember a chap of that name when I worked in the Buying Office of the Parks Department in The Civic Centre, behind the Hall of Memory and gardens. (My first job straight from school). Peter was then the cost clerk. He went on to become P.A. to the deputy...
  2. E

Cannon Hill Park

Did n’t the trams run along Cannon hill Road the turn up Edgbaston Road then turn again into Willows Road, avoiding switching the contact pole around, which was always the clippies job wet or dry. The driver had to stamp his foot pedal down and carry his dead mans handle through to the other end...
  3. E

Cannon Hill Park

I too remember my folks taking my sister and I toCannon Hill Park. It was pretty much a regular Sunday afternoon walk during the summer (when Dad didn’t take a nap.) we nearly always went into the big greenhouse right by the entrance. Then we would walk across the grassed area where they...
  4. E

James Factory, Tomey Road, Greet

My father worked st The James Cycle Company certainly during WW2 and retiring in 1966. He operated a flame cutting machine and was a member of the Auxilliary Fire Service which was on duty during the war. After the war he still went to the factory on weekends walking round making sure everything...
Back