• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Gerry Cannell

Aston hippodrome

A wonderful story, with a very sad ending. As you may have read I appeared there with my troupe back in the fifties, when the last knockings of Variety Theatre could be heard. The same fate took the Derby Hipp, and a lot of others, Amazing talent worked at these lovely theatres....never to come...
  2. Gerry Cannell

Midland Red Bus Routes

Just had a wander through these, excellent! Thank you.
  3. Gerry Cannell

Birmingham buses

Well there you go, we learn something every day. Cheers!
  4. Gerry Cannell

Birmingham buses

Trivia, I believe that ALBION were the first to produce the underfloor engine, and remember their advert for this innovative design. Thanks guys.
  5. Gerry Cannell

Birmingham buses

Spot on matey.
  6. Gerry Cannell

Birmingham buses

I notice the bus was an "ALBION", a manufacturer that was a big name back then, disappearing in the sixties I believe.
  7. Gerry Cannell

Birmingham buses

MidlanD Red used Setright machines. Easy to use, and not too heavy. When I was a conductor in 1958, based at Sutton Garage, the machine was issued on a daily basis. On a Saturday night in the rush hour running a 119 to Great Barr, standing load from the Dog Track at Perry Barr...the machine used...
  8. Gerry Cannell

Halloween

Maybe of interest to some..Back in 2012 I was playing the character "Dr. Kelman" at Alton Towers, in a place called THE SANCTUARY. Today, my image is still there at the top of The Smiler Rollercoaster. A little bit of trivia for Halloween.
  9. Gerry Cannell

Midland Red Bus Routes

You are correct, my memory isn't what it was. Thanks. Gerry
  10. Gerry Cannell

Midland Red Bus Routes

Great info. Thank you. Gertry
  11. Gerry Cannell

Midland Red Bus Routes

Hi guys, just joining in here, as an EX-Driver on Midland Red then WMPTE out of Sutton Garage, I remember the pre-fix letters as; SN on the blinds. I seem to recall them being lower cse as in : sn. Am I right folks? Thanks Gerry.
  12. Gerry Cannell

Park Lane...Aston

Dear Alf Lloyd, when I was a kid, he always reminded me of John Wayne, he was that big...as a child anyway, that is how I remember him. Dad having his car serviced, and the pit he had dug in the garage at the far end of the alley. Loved Uncle Alf to bits.
  13. Gerry Cannell

Crossroads programme

Paul was friend back in those days, and I used to go with him to open Fete's and Galas. Lost touch some time ago.
  14. Gerry Cannell

Onion Fair

I am Jack Hills Grandson, but I suspect you may already know that. I have been involved in the Black Patch and the Chaplin connection since around 2011. I am just back from recording the narration for the feature film, about Charlie, and his birth, and his early life. It will be released either...
  15. Gerry Cannell

Street Baked Potato & Chestnut Sellers

Hi, I relived that story with you. I too came into Brum to sit in the News Theatre, and watch the cartoons and the shorts, (Three Stooges/Laurel & Hardy/Charlie Chaplin and others) plus the serials. Lovely days. never to come again. What a gentler time we lived in, and my....how I wish it would...
  16. Gerry Cannell

Barrows Stores

As mentioned earlier, I worked there in 1956/7 on the veg counter. It was such a laugh, with the lads I worked with. The van, which carried the logo' "Barrows" Stores. Birmingham, used to deliver to the Streetly area, of Sutton, with one lettuce and a quarter of tomatoes! Just so they could have...
  17. Gerry Cannell

Me Dads old sayings

and when was it you joined as a boy soldier?
  18. Gerry Cannell

Me Dads old sayings

OK, so I am 2365 **** 1959 ( Caterham Depot) 1961 ( All Arms Drill Wing Pirbright), then the usual places. When did you join then mate?
  19. Gerry Cannell

Me Dads old sayings

So true! What was your first four mate??
  20. Gerry Cannell

Me Dads old sayings

So, if I said to you..Jan Hooper would that mean anything to you, OR Black Alec Dumont...??
Back