• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. R

National Service

hello Paul .I was always getting into trouble.remember one morning waking up with a Cypriot Lance jack balling down my ear i sat and gave him punch. it didn't take long to be marched to hq they seven detension.it must ofdone some good he never bawled down my ear again. Cheers mate
  2. R

National Service

Hi Alberta i remember whenever i had a 36 or 48 hour pass i used to get a lift off a driver who used deliver the sauces from HP every Friday. and he once asked if i could drive a truck.once or twice i drove his truck for him to Birmingham and he would get some sleep. Regards Richard
  3. R

National Service

Hiya Paul thanks commenting on my thread i really enjoyed my last few weeks up in Cumberland on the first aid and stretcher course.anyway got me away from doing all them chores at my last camp and a earlier demob by six weeks Richard
  4. R

National Service

Hi Eddie can't remember how long my interview was but nothing was mentioned which army service i be in only ffound out when i arrived at the training camp Regards Richard
  5. R

National Service

Eddie i remember when i got demobed iwas sent to some barracks in Cumberland on a first aid and stretcher course can't remember the name the place, but i did get demobed six weeks before my n/s time.which i thought was great
  6. R

National Service

Hi Eddie i don't think anyone had a chose i wanted to into the Signals but went in the RASC regards richard
  7. R

National Service

Hi Dennis you mentioning Palestine 1945/48 my uncle got killed in Palestine between 1945/48 his name was Jim Clarke Iwent to Arboretium found Jims name on one of the memorial walls. all the best .Richard
  8. R

Ansells Brewery

Hi Astonion. I worked for Ansells in Park lane in the late 50/s as a drayman.i remember seeing the men in the brown coats and cloggs who worked as coopers and barrel fillers<br>the Brewery just finished using the horse and carts when i started their.a great&nbsp; place&nbsp;to work in them...
  9. R

Ansells Brewery

Hi Astonion. I worked for Ansells in the late 50/s as a drayman.i remember seeing the men in the brown coats and cloggs who worked as coopers and barrel fillers the Brewery just finished using the horse and carts when i started their.a great place to work in them times good blokes who worked...
  10. R

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Anyone remember the night in Newtown Row by the Hippodrome i think it was called the Black Cat
  11. R

Kingstanding

HI Dave great ride round Kingstanding.I used to live off there in Streatham Grove off Harringgay Road haven't been to that area for years. Regards.Richard
  12. R

Who remembers their dad mending their shoes

I am now 76yrs of age but i remember when i used to mend my kids shoes. i got old innertubes or old tyres and cut them into shape and tack them onto the soals.MYy often remind me of them days. regards. Richard
  13. R

Rowlands bakery ownership

Hi Sunshine I remember Rowlands Bakery very well they used to have a place at the top end of&nbsp; John St in Aston.I used live in that street when i was a kid.I don't if i should tell you this but we to jump on to back of the horse and <br>and pinch the bread&nbsp; when they were returning to...
  14. R

Rowlands bakery ownership

Hi Sunshine I remember Rowlands Bakery very well they used to have a place at the top end of John St by Aston Rd I used live in that street when i was a kid.I don't know&nbsp;if i should tell you this but we to jump on to back of the horse and and pinch the bread when they were returning to...
  15. R

Starting work at Fourteen

Hi Don i also started wok when i was fourteen. My first job was at Charles Wades in Pritchett St working as riviters mate it was very hard work and very hot because of the heat from the mufflers where the rivits were heated red hot. my wages was about 10/ bob. Redards Richard.
  16. R

Transport

I used to work at Lewis transport in Miller St does anyone remember them. regards Richard
  17. R

Morto & Crowders

Did anyone know the. drop stamping company Morton & Crowders they used to make Badges. i used to work their in the 50s. Regards Richard
  18. R

Salford Park Photos Please

Great picture of the stand in Salford park.
  19. R

National Service

Hi Geff you mentioned a book on Palestine My uncle was killed in Palestine in 1948
Back