• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. E

Tyseley Locomotive Works

The loco on the left (without a tender) is a Castle Class and is I believe 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. It was eventually restored to full working order and has run on the main line many times. The small tank engine is 5637 but that was never restored at Tyseley and left there some years ago...
  2. E

Birmingham buses

Isn't this round the back of Perry Barr garage? I'm sure that 3199 was one of the batch of MOF Daimlers allocated there c. 1974? Like the DAF car. Wasn't it called a Variomatic and had a belt drive automatic transmission? A work colleague had one in a lovely avacado green colour!
  3. E

Bromford Lane And Tyburn Road

I have a copy of the Ian Allan Birmingham City Transport Bus Fleets 1967 and that lists 66E as Bromford Lane Tyburn Road. Was it Miller Street that covered the 66 route? This blind may have been cut from a Miller Street blind. This destination was I'm sure a turnback working on the 11 route...
  4. E

Birmingham Buses Part 2

Sorry I must have written it a bit ambiguously! The Ford Anglia is not there today, well I couldn't see it on Streetview but the lamp post and garage are still there. No. 2 is of course on Birmingham's Most Famous Bus Route - 11 Outer Circle. The photo must have been taken before the...
  5. E

Spring Road Railway Station Disued Booking Office

Re: Spring Road Railway Station Disused Booking Office I take it that the building is no longer there. I am unsure as to the owner but it would either have been Network Rail or the Train Operating Company. It had not been a booking office for a long time and was used latterly for storage. I...
  6. E

Birmingham Buses Part 2

No 1 is in Kitts Green Road. The opticians shop across the road is Scrivens and that is still there today as Scrivens but all the other shops have changed. Some old names from the past to be seen - Rumbelows with their service van parked in the road and Foster Brothers as well. No 2 is between...
  7. E

Birmingham Buses Part 2

I would agree that this is outside Sarehole Mill at the "clock-in" point (11A). I would say this was taken in 1974 as 2552 was withdrawn later that year. It ended up down at Adderley Street awaiting the inevitable tow up to Barnsley. The bus behind looks to be a 29 (JOJ) but can't quite see...
  8. E

Birmingham Buses Part 2

Yes I certainly remember these buses in the early 70's in these liveries. There was also a Yellow Pages one as well. "Let your fingers do the walking!" it said! The Everton Mints bus is as far as I can see at the roundabout on Robin Hood Lane and crossing over Highfield Road on its way to...
  9. E

Birmingham Buses Part 2

I'm going to suggest that No. 1 is on the Outer Circle at the Fox & Goose stop with the driver about to leave the lay-by and head for Stechford. There used to be a Bundy clock at this stop and also the Beaufort cinema but sadly neither of those artefacts are there today.
  10. E

Snow Hill Station

Well it is 40 years ago tomorrow (Saturday 04 March 1972) that the last trains ran out of Snow Hill and the station closed forever. I was on the very last timetabled train out of the station - 17:50 I think it was. I can't remember how much a return ticket to Wolverhampton L.L. was then but it...
  11. E

A B.C.T. Bus Stop still in Postion

It must date from when the trams on the Stratford Road were replaced by buses which was 1937 I think. It is unusual that the Service Number (31) is one of a handful left that have not changed since at least the 70s and in this case from Day 1. If you sandpapered away the blue paint underneath...
  12. E

Birmingham buses

Same here - fantastic photos and great memories! Please keep them coming especially of ones on "The Circle" or the 90/92 which was my local route in Hall Green. The Coventry buses first turned up in Birmingham sometime around March 1974. Was it Acock's Green Garage that mainly (or only) used...
  13. E

Birmingham buses

Regarding No. 2 (2529 to Acock's Green Westley Road) I would definitely say this was on the Outer Circle as I caught this bus in the afternoon many times from King Edward's Camp Hill School at King's Heath back to Hall Green. Could it be outside Sarehole Mill at the clock-in point? The road is...
  14. E

Marston Green Gates

Re: Marston Green Gates I used to be a Signal Technician based at Tyseley in the 70s and 80s and although our Depot did not cover Marston Green (it was New Street's patch), we did cover the line from Berkswell to Coventry and so I would pass by on my way to and from Coventry on the train when...
  15. E

Birmingham buses

There is a thread several months ago about this particular BCT Standard. It is 3164 (MOF 164) which was withdrawn sometime in 1973 or 1974. I have a record of travelling on it on the '11 Outer Circle' to school (King Edwards VI Camp Hill School for Boys at King's Heath) in February 1973 on the...
Back