• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. P

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

Yes, I was downgraded too. Couldn't believe the slower pace of life outside the top class, but I soon adapted.
  2. P

I helped with the lighting on this production and had a small walk-on part. The body in the trunk was a good prop, a pupil hidden inside so an arm could be lifted up.
  3. P

Saltley & Alum Rock

A puzzle from 60 years ago cleared up. Gotta love this technology. Sometimes.
  4. P

Saltley & Alum Rock

So did he own the houses? Maybe she meant the guy who paid to have them built. She died a long time ago now and my memory from 60 years ago may be limited. I remember being about 10yrs old when we stopped paying rent and bought the house when the row was sold off. That's when we had the bathroom...
  5. P

Saltley & Alum Rock

My elderly neighbour back in the 1960's told me that the builder had named Reginald Road, where we lived, and the other name roads after his children. She knew a lot about the area and had lived there a long time.
  6. P

Saltley & Alum Rock

I lived there many years ago and was told that all the roads named after people were named for the builder's family.
  7. P

When in the sixth form I was given a ladder and, with another classmate, allowed to climb onto the Gymn roof to throw down all of the stuff which had accumulated there. Imagine being allowed to do that today! It was a different world back then. I think that caps had been done away with a year or...
  8. P

Alum Rock Road Shops

Jumping off the bus as it turned the corner there added a bit of danger to my school day. Saved a whole two minutes of walk back from the bus stop.
  9. P

Saltley & Alum Rock

I found a couple. One with modern graffiti, the other looking downhill from it.
  10. P

Saltley & Alum Rock

I used to cycle up that hill on my fixed wheel bike. Nearly made it to the top on a couple of occasions.
  11. P

Saltley & Alum Rock

I remember as a child passing it on the bus and mom pointing it out and telling me that it was a Territorial place
  12. P

Halloween

We never bothered much about halloween as children as there was no trick or treating and we were far too excited about bonfire night. We occasionally went to a halloween party, which was just a regular party with messier activities such as bobbing for apples, but never dressed up. The only...
  13. P

Saltley College

Hi. Interestingly my dad was a pupil at the school run by St Peter's before the war and then I went to the college to train to be a teacher in the 70's
  14. P

Gone out of fashion

I used to live near Cannon Hill Park and could never go there without someone saying that they missed the Tulip Festival. I can remember it like yesterday, of course
  15. P

Gone out of fashion

Dad made his own ginger beer for years. The shop bought ginger beer for children was in little brown bottles
  16. P

Gone out of fashion

Ours was hanging on the fence outside our kitchen door until we had a bathroom built when I was 10 or 11 yrs old. They knocked the outside toilet and coal store down to build the bathroom off the kitchen.
  17. P

Saltley College

At least I was fit when I had a classroom only accessible by going down one flight of stairs then up two
  18. P

Saltley College

Top left hand double windows. My room for a year in '73 I think it was. Climbed a lot of stairs that year.
  19. P

Nansen Road School

I remember a trip to the zoo, and that I was almost sick with excitement as I walked to school. We had a long walk to and from school as we were then living by the Gate Saltley, having moved there from near the school. I used to go home for lunch so the walks kept us fit. Mind you, I often used...
  20. P

Nansen Road School

I went to Marsh Hill Boy's together with one other boy from my class. Others I knew went to Saltley Grammar and Mosely Art School. Some of my closest friends went to Washwood Heath Secondary, and I managed to keep in touch with them through our secondary school years.
Back