• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. G

Highcroft History Display panels unveiling THUR 2 JUN 11am-1pm Archway, Highcroft Rd

Re: Highcroft History Display panels unveiling THUR 2 JUN 11am-1pm Archway, Highcroft Great to see! Thanks Colin.
  2. G

B'ham Boarding School 1881

Records from Tennal are kept by Birmingham Archives and Heritage in the new Library of Birmingham building. https://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/article/catalogues/catalogue They are closed records ie. the public can't view them so you will need to make an appointment and take ID. Good luck in...
  3. G

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Re: Sir Josiah Masons Hi Anita, I am putting a book together about memories of Mason's Orphanage - I want to include the perspective of the boarders, and not just make it about Josiah Mason himself. In that light, I would very much like to include your description of your time at...
  4. G

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Hi Peter, I am putting a book together about memories of Mason's Orphanage - I want to include the perspective of the boarders, and not just make it about Josiah Mason himself. In that light, I would very much like to include your description of your time at the orphanage. Would that be ok with...
  5. G

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Thank you so much - it is only a little book of memories but I think that seeing the demolition would mean a lot to people.
  6. G

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Hi Wendy. I am writing a book about the orphanage and these are the first photos I have seen of the demolition. Do you think your friend might given me permission to reproduce on of the photos in the book? I would, of course, given them full credit/acknowledgement. Here's hoping!
  7. G

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Hi Have you tried contacting the Old Masonians' Association? They are very helpful and have a lot of members who might be able to help. https://sjmo.webs.com/
  8. G

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Thanks! I was too excited to read it all properly! I'll grab a cup of tea, sit down and look at it all thoroughly now. Gudrun
  9. G

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Hi Wendy! Thank you. What fantastic photos! Do you know who took them? / Who has the copyright? etc. Thanks for sharing
  10. G

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Hi Hi Sonic The best place to start is Birmingham Archives and Heritage at Central Library. Sadly, they are in upheaval at the moment as they are packing up to move to the new library in September. They have the remaining records (which I believe is one register) and will be able to tell you...
  11. G

Birmingham Childrens' Homes in the 1950s

There is a site on Birminghams' children's homes that I did a few years ago here https://www.connectinghistories.org.uk/childrenshomes.asp that you might find useful. In total, I found around 100 children's homes run by the council at one time or another. There are just a handful now. I went...
  12. G

Erdington

I was recently asked to find out what I could about the laundry in Erdington and, although it doesn't amount to much, I thought I would share it here. The Erdington Laundry Co. Ltd was based at 48 Summer Road - where the line of trees is now just next to the railway bridge. It must have been a...
  13. G

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Hi Johanna Would you be interested in talking to me further about it? I would be quite interested in covering the search for ancestors at the Orphanage as it is the main way that family historians get to know about it. If you are, drop me a line - Gudrun
  14. G

Erdington

Funnily enough I spent weeks trying to find that very picture and get permission to reproduce it in the book. I did get permission in the end but then couldn't believe it when it turned up on that website free and available just the other week. What is particularly interesting about the photo is...
  15. G

Erdington

Hi For those of you interested in Erdington's history, there's a book out on Erdington Cottage Homes - the children's homes off Fentham Road (The Gardens) - The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes. It covers the history of the Homes from when they were built as part of...
  16. G

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Hi I am putting together a book on Josiah Mason's orphanage and I am looking for people who have memories of living or working there. It is very esay to take part, please just send me an email or give me a call. Many thanks Gudrun Jane
  17. G

Erdington Cottage Homes / Aston Union Cottage Homes / The Gardens, Fentham Road

Hi Thought you might be interested that there is a new book on Aston Union (Erdington) Cottage Homes - The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes. It is a complete history of the Homes plus lots of memories of people who lived there as children. It can be found on Amazon...
  18. G

BROUGHTON, Cyril - shenley Fields or Erdington cottage homes

Re: shenley Fields or Erdington cottage homes Hi Thought you might be interested that there is a new book on Erdington Cottage Homes - The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes. It is a complete history of the Homes plus lots of memories of people who lived there as...
  19. G

The Gardens Fentham Road Erdington

There is a new book on Erdington Cottage Homes - The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes. It is a complete history of the Homes plus people's memories of living there between the 1930s and the 1980s. It can be found on Amazon but the postage is cheaper from the...
  20. G

Erdington Cottage Homes / Aston Union Cottage Homes / The Gardens, Fentham Road

Hi Chip1965 I've just received your email - many thanks - so I'll reply directly as well. I am still doing the research and hope that the book will be out in November. Thanks for getting in touch! Gudrun Jane
Back