• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. john

Lewis's Department Store

Sorry can't help don't know a Turner family.
  2. john

Royal Coronations : Birmingham response

Dad, being an electrician built a new television for the coronation. Because we had plenty of time to ready ourselves for the occasion in our road (Coleraine) the residents formed a committee to organise events for the day. We had lots of people in our house all peering at a 9” screen. For the...
  3. john

Guy Fawkes Night.....Memories

Yes Wend your right about the council workers dropping off their branches ect. But also the field we had the bonfire in belonged to farmer Juxon (All his land is now built on) and he and the farm workers would also put hedge cutting on to the pile.
  4. john

Birmingham butchers retail.

5. john

Falcon Cycles Smethwick

Hi Wend. I remember I used to park my Raleigh Moped behind Bob's Falcon Olympic, in that narrow back entry, for fear of scratching his pride and joy. Can't remember the model but the colour was a lime green. I think he bought it in about 1963/4
  6. john

ABC Minors !!

I remember being an A. B. C. monitor at the Empress cinema. Which was being a helper to the usherette's, helping with the queues and selling the A.B.C. badges, but best of all was getting in the cinema for free!! nice work for a fourteen year old.
  7. john

The Blitz

I remember my Dad telling me about a bomb being dropped by the railway line by the Old Walsall road it missed the railway but hit a main gas line somewhere by the G.K.N is now. It lit the area up as the flame was about 50ft high and it took them days to put it out as they couldn’t turn the gas...
  8. john

Hamstead Colliery

I remember one day when the cable carrying the buckets had a major breakdown and the buckets crashing into each other and falling off the cables, much excitement for the neighbours in Coleraine Road Where the cable passed over the Hamstead road they had a wooden trough that was suspended under...
  9. john

Army Huts after WW2

A mate of mine Dave Hodge had an auntie & uncle living in one of those huts. We used to pop in to see her after we'd been on the paddling boats as it was on the way back to Coleraine Rd where we lived.
  10. john

Lewis's Department Store

Hi Plumjones, I pop into Kevin's Shop every week in Chasetown. he's got two deck chairs right by a big radiator. so we sit there reminiscing about his time at Lewis,s and what he got up to around Brum. While his Wife Vickie is doing the C.N.C engraving at the back of the shop!
  11. john

Reddicap tavern Reddicap Heath Sutton Coldfield

The only sprits I saw were in the bottom of the glass L.0.L
  12. john

Reddicap tavern Reddicap Heath Sutton Coldfield

When I worked at Alexander Controls on the Reddicap trading estate, "The Reddicap” was where we went for a lunch time drink.
  13. john

Grove Lane Swimming Baths, Handsworth

When I went to Birchfield road school I can remember that swimming lessons were compulsory in the 1950s . We were marched up to the bus stop by the Crown & Cushion and the teacher would pay the fair to Grove Lane Baths with tokens witch looked like plastic buttons. and occasionally we used to go...
  14. john

The silent killer

Glad your on the mend Terry went through a simlar opp a few years ago, Ahr Wend if only all hospitals opperated the same. Us old'uns would be a lot happier. Slightly of topic my wife kept feeling dizzy, went for a MRI scan at the hospital in October. received a letter a week later. nothing to...
  15. john

Radio: Crystal Sets & CB Radio

Hi Wend, and Catsclaws, Yes I was a member of the C.B. club that used to meet at the Greyhound Pub (flattened now) My handle was T-Max. I can,t remember all the people who used to meet there, just a few, I bump into now, Partsman, Plonka One, Nutcracker, Goldigger, and a few others . A few of us...
  16. john

Double Zero Club

The Dog...... Funny how I remember Pubs...
  17. john

Double Zero Club

Is that the bus stop where MacDonalds now stands?
  18. john

Outer Circle Bus Tour (on the day)

Micky P Driving down memory lane
  19. john

Sunday Afternoons

Haaa, Sunday afternoons, after dinner it would washed and scrubbed up for Sunday School at the Tin Tabernacle as Dad called it, or the The Corrugated Church It was a corrugated steel structure on the corner of Rocky Lane and Dorrington Road. Then home to tinned pears and evaporated milk if...
  20. john

H.p.sauce History

Slightly off topic but my car was made in Derbyshire at Toyota, where my son-in law works, so I hope I have helped him and his BRITISH colleagues in their future employment, As I couldn't afford a Morgan or an Aston Martin. and as there no reasonable priced BRITISH mass produced car company's...
Back